Grudges

Opposite to halftime, the changing room was buzzing. Not everyone was yet there. The likes of Vlatko, Dawn, Ash and Carli had some words to say to the Canadians who were complaining to anyone who would listen. Karima was silent though. She just wanted to get on the bus. After leaving the changing room, she asked one of the staff where the bus was. Suddenly though a presenter came up to her. "Hi!" She ecstatically waved. "Can we just quickly ask some questions about your debut?" Karima tiredly nodded. She didn't seem to really have a choice. "So first of all on a 1-10, how'd you rate your debut?"
"An 8." The presenter seemed confused. "Why not a perfect 10?" Karima thought it was obvious. "I mean we did get the win and the atmosphere was excellent but...I don't know whether my performance was the best." A frown spread on the presenters face. "Why not?" Karima hesitated. "Maybe it was the nerves?" The presenter nodded. "We hope you don't mind us asking...but can you tell us what went on? You and Sharon McClaude of Canada seemed to have a few words to say about each other." Karimas face was becoming extremely red. "Um...I think we were both passionate. There's was a lot of emotions in our heads with us both making our debuts." Karima knew she skipped the question but she couldn't answer it. "Well thank you very much Miss Mendoza.Enjoy the rest of today. That was a well deserved win!" Karima smiled. "Thanks! You too!"
As Karima was walking off, she heard a familiar voice. "Kazzy! Auntie Kazzy!" Huh? Karima thought. What's my nephew doing in Canada? Doesn't he have school? . She turned around to see a familiar kid who resembled his auntie a lot and a familiar friend holding him. "Emma?" Karima was taken back. The boy broke free from Emma's arms and ran as quickly as he could to Karima. "What about me Auntie?" He yelled. "Rami, how could I forget you?" Said Karima picking the kid up and whirling him in her arms. She turned to Emma. "What are you doing here?" She questioned with a massive smile on her face. "I was free." Karimas best friend smiled back. Then the smile faltered. "Your sister wanted to see you but..." "She was too busy." Karima guessed. Emma frowned. "No...she didn't think you wanted to see her." Karima put Rami down. "Well she's right." Emma sighed. "Karima..." The midfielder turned to face her best friend with a serious look. "She was just as bad. When it came to discouraging me." Karima turned away. But Emma wasn't done. "How long is this gonna go on for Karima?" She shouted. Karima covered Rami's ears. "How long are your grudges gonna go on for? You don't even have an answer for them!" Emma continued. Each word stung Karima as her mums usually did. In a different way though. "I need to go now." She hastily concluded. Bending down to the boy she said "See you soon Rami ok? Did you like seeing your Aunt play?" The child nodded. "I like when you fought the big, bad woman." Both women laughed. "You owned McClaude." Emma told her. Karima gave them both one last hug. Turning around she headed to the bus.

The journey was quiet on the way home. Everyone was tired. Not least Karima who struggled to keep her eyes open. The lack of sleep was coming back to haunt her. Carli was on the phone to someone, probably her husband. As for Karima...she contemplated texting her sister. Was Emma right? Karima shook her head. No she didn't know. No one did.