A reassuring phone call

Of course , Karima thought about it. The fact that she practically was at fault for the winner...it haunted her. Her mums relentless taunts were in her head again.
"Soon everyone will know what a failure you are!"
"How can you be good at this sport if you can't do anything else!"
"You will give up Karima and I will be the one that's right!"

Karima woke up. It was 7:45 am. It wasn't a nightmare, was it?
After all she didn't see anything. Just the voices. But that was the worst. Wasn't it?
Her thoughts were interrupted by a snapping of fingers. "You ok?" Emily appeared concerned. This was the question that Karima hated the most. Although with her girlfriend, she could tolerate it. "I've not spoken to them." Karima told Emily, remembering that Cole, Emma and Rami were at the game. Emily looked at Karima's phone. "Do you wanna call them?"
Picking up the phone, it took a couple of rings until Karima's best friend picked up.
E:Hey!
K:Hey...
E:Kaz, what's up?
Karima hesitated. Even though MacFarlene was her longest associate, it was still hard to admit her worries to her.
K:How do you think I did yesterday?
E: Apart from that...blip, you were the best player on the pitch. Definitely from the U.S at least
K:How?
Karima noted that Emma didn't expect that question. She started to worry.
E: Kaz you did like what? Four duels won in the air which is pretty damn good for a shortie like you.
If they were in the same room, Karima would've lobbed the pillow on her bed at Emma.
E: Lets not forget the amount of interceptions and tackles you made. I checked the stats on ESPN and you had double the more than the next best who was Steph Catley I'm sure.
There was now a smile on Karima's face. Emma knew how much she weirdly, loved statistics.
E: So Kaz, are you much reassured now?
K:I'm...sure
Both of them burst into laughter at Karima's awkwardness.
E: Well, I gotta go! Bye Kazza!

After hanging up, Karima saw Emily who seemed a lot more relieved seeing her teammate so happy.
"So was that a reassuring phone call?" Karima nodded. "I think so."