Intervention

As Karima was waiting in the tunnel, she could feel her heartbeat continue to rise and fall. She was standing in between Christine and Tobin but even the experienced players couldn't help settle her nerves. It was such a big game as well. The Courage were a point above the Thorns but until last weeks shock loss to Orlando, Portland had been on top on the table for all but the first two weeks of the season. When the players finally stepped onto the pitch, Karima's heart nearly stopped. In the crowd, there was not just her sisters and Emma. But her.

I'm dreaming Karima tried to assure herself. Her mum didn't even know she was a professional. Oh Emma. Why did you tell her? In all fairness, it probably wasn't her who told her mum. Yazmin was the obvious suspect. Karima was so caught up that she only saw Crystal coming up to shake her hand in the last minute. Karima recognised a few people on Courage from the USWNT. Mewis, Dahlkemper, McDonald and Dunn of course. Karima also noticed Jaelene Hinkle giving her a few odd looks.

The game was surprisingly slow. The first shot of the game didn't come until the 23rd minute after a good run from Debinha. The Thorns in particular seemed to be wasting possession a lot . Karima wouldn't be surprised if she got substituted before halftime. Yet this wasn't a main worry right now. For the first time since she started playing soccer, her personal life was clouding her performance. Hinkle seemed to be taking advantage of that. Their first clash came at a corner. The defender whispered in Karimas ear "McClaude's told me you're a dirty slut." Karima wasn't going to let that slide. "How exactly would she know that Hinkle?"  Jaelene didn't seem to have an answer to that and after the ball swung in, they both went back to their positions.

The halftime whistle went not long after that. Karima felt for those at Providence Park . For a top of the table tie, it was an absolute stalemate. Parsons wasn't impressed either. "I don't know whether it's jet lag but most of you don't seem to be playing to your high standards." Mark didn't single anyone out after, however Karima knew she was on a fine line. The team played a lot better after halftime. The NC Courage also upped their level. Both teams seemed to finally go for it. As for Hinkle and Mendoza, the players had a big clash in the 74th minute. As they were waiting for Tobin to take a free kick, Hinkle came up to Mendoza to mark her. Turning her face away, Karima didn't want to give Jaelene what she wanted. "So," The fullback hissed "your mums finally came to sort you out." Karima nearly burst out laughing. "What the fuck are you talking about?" Hinkle wasn't fazed. "In Islam, they don't allow homosexuality do they? I hope your mum teaches you a lesson." Just then Tobin took a perfect free kick. The goalkeeper could do nothing as it floated into the net. Karima couldn't help but wonder though as her teammates crowded around Tobin, how she was going to face her family.

The game ended 1-0. The Portland Thorns were back on top of the table. After shaking everyone else's hands, Mendoza went to Hinkle. The defender gave her one disgusted look before saying "I don't shake hands with lesbians." Smirking, Karima turned away but inside, she was badly hurt. Why couldn't people accept her for who she was? Someone always had a problem.

To her horror, Karima still saw her family in the stands. She gave them one disapproving look before turning around and bumping right into a certain Emily Sonnett. "Sorry!" She frantically apologised. Shaking her head, Emily said "It's fine." Gesturing towards the crowd she continued. "Why aren't you going to your family?" Karima already had an excuse. "I mean I'm not ready to see them after what already happened." The defender frowned. "I thought asking Emma to bring your siblings and especially your mum would've helped ease tensions." Then Karima's world stopped spinning.

"You...you...I'm sorry...what?" Karima was in such shock that her mouth wouldn't function properly. Emily didn't seem fazed. "Well isn't that what normal families do?" Karima had now lost it. "Emily." She softly said. "My family isn't exactly...typical and they're certainly not normal. So I don't know what you were trying to do, but that wasn't gonna help me." Giving her teammate one last disgusted look, Karima headed down the tunnel.