An Anorexic Admission

"KARIMA YOU'VE BEEN STRUGGLING WITH ANOREXIA?" Karima sighed and wanted to beat herself up. She forgot that she hadn't even told Emma. I think there's some things , Karima realised that I shouldn't have kept secret. Because now not only did she have an angry girlfriend she now had an even angrier best friend. "After all these years Karima" Emma sounded a bit calmer now "and you couldn't even bother to give me a hint?" Karima rolled her eyes. She called for a solution, not another problem. "Well how can I make it up to you both?" Then Karima remembered Cole. "And Spritt." There was silence and Karima was sure her best friend was probably taken back. "Go to therapy." Was the blunt answer. "For that?" Karima clarified. There was now another pause then a sigh. "Also to discuss...the other issues." Karima started to sweat "What other issues?" Emma didn't take long in replying. "Family."

Karima eventually went downstairs. This reminded her of when her mum was angry at her and she had to walk on eggshells. Although truthfully, Karima was always walking on eggshells around her. She reached the kitchen and saw a note about going out. Just then, the door opened and Emily was back. She appeared to be sweating so Karima suspected she had been out for a run. "Look," she started first "I'll go to therapy if it reassures you." Emily frowned. "Why would you do that?" Karima winced. "My best friend wasn't exactly happy about it either but she told me that I could make it up to her if I went to therapy." She explained. Emily nodded before grabbing a phone. "What are you doing?" "Getting an appointment."

Facing the blank walls brought back memories for Karima. Not necessarily bad ones either.

"Look look mum!" Six year old Karima was bouncing around the place showing her mum different cartoons. Mum was nodding and giving an occasional smile although her mind was occupied. They were going to get Karima tested by psychiatrists to see if she was autistic. Mum was nervous. How could she tell her family that her daughter had autism? As they walked through the children's hospital, the wards no longer had pictures or anything on their walls but just blank and beige.
As they sat in a lonely waiting room, Karima looked up to her mum and asked "Mommy, if there's something wrong with me...would you still love me?" There was hesitation. That the kid didn't notice at the time. Then "Of course honey."

Karima opened her eyes again. Well that wasn't true. She looked to Emily who was on her phone. Would she change ? Karima no longer blamed her mum. Why associate with someone who had problems and was a liar.
Then she heard a familiar voice "Karima Mendoza?"