The final buildup

The next day the USWNT found out their opponents for the final. Canada. They had beaten the Australians 5-3 on pens. As they watched Jessie Fleming run away to celebrate with her teammates after scoring the decisive penalty, Karima groaned. She was going to face Sharon fucking McClaude again. The other players seemed ready for it. "We're gonna bash the Canadians cunts in!" Ash proclaimed loudly flapping her arms about. Karima instantly frowned before going to her phone.
The Canadians were in the same group as the Netherlands, New Zealand and Jamaica. They narrowly finished behind of the World Cup finalists by a point. They were then drawn against Japan in the quarterfinals where they beat them 2-1 in extra time. Canada then drew with Australia 2-2 in extra before defeating them on penalties. Karima quickly did the maths. That meant their fierce rivals had played an equivalent of a match more than them (they went to the 30 minutes of extra time twice) so the USWNT had a physical advantage.
The match was in 3 days. Emily appeared to be buzzing. Karima knew why. The USWNT were the obvious favourites and it seemed that Sonnett desperately wanted to find out Mendoza's biggest secret.
Karima had just been messaging Cole and Emma the whole time. They wanted Karima to focus. Then on the day before the final, Karima got a shocking message.
Hey Kaz! Hope you're doing well. We're flying out today to support you.

Karima was tempted to throw her phone at the wall. Texting Yazmin back, Karima said

Ok then. I just want to know who you're coming with.

A response quickly came back.

The whole fam little sis ;)

Understandably frustrated, Karima had lost all patience. She needed to get to the bottom of this.

Like everyone?

Yazmin seemed to be confused.

Yes?

Karima had enough.

Why the fuck would she and her brother want to come?

Yazmin seemed to be fighting back.

Who? Your own mother and Uncle? Um well maybe because they love you?

Karima cringed at that word.

If loving involved physical,emotional and mental abuse then maybe yeah they do.

Karima regretted sending that text. It didn't take long to see why.

What's gotten into you? Ever since you've went pro, you've changed. The very people who helped you get success are the ones you turn against.

Karima wasn't going to back down though.

Explain how? None of you guys wanted me to have anything to do with a "mans sport". At least I respect my uncle because he hasn't changed his ways once I became pro. Who exactly helped me get success by the way Yazmin? Because I don't think any of you guys did.

Feeling a weird satisfaction after sending that message, Karima lay back. Her sister didn't reply back which made her glad. Karima however wasn't done yet. She decided to phone Emma who she could no longer seem to trust.

The dialogue went a bit like this:
E: Hey, you ok?
K: Kinda...look just want to ask a quick question, please don't get mad
E: What is it?
K: Did you invite my family to the final?
E: Karima, you shouldn't be thinking about that right now
K:(sigh) Emma, did you or did you not?
E: No! For goodness sake why are you even asking this?
K: Because I thought after all you've fucking done, maybe you've taken it a step further?
E: What? Maybe it's because they care?!
K: Emma people like them don't care
E: I don't get it

Karima sighed before hanging up. Then she let her frustrations loose. Hurling her phone at the wall, Karima wondered how things went so drastically wrong. Just then, there was a knock at the door. "Come in." Karima muttered. Emily entered and after looking at a phone discarded on the floor, faced Karima. "I'm guessing things aren't OK?" Karima shook her head. "Just nerves I guess." Knowing that Emily wasn't convinced, she decided to expand more. "I kind of got into an argument." Nodding, Emily admitted "I heard." Karima turned to face the wall again. "Hope I'm not starting. McClaude would be over the moon." Emily sat on the bed. "She's not had a bad tournament you know." Karima nodded. The Canadian had 3 assists and a goal to her name. Emily then looked up at Karima and smiled. "We're gonna win though." Karima frowned. "How can you be so sure?" With a big grin, Sonnett got up and began walking towards the door. "Well," she said swinging it open "I need to find out your biggest secret." Then Emily was gone.