Chile VS U.S

The final group game took place just 3 days after the tie against Team GB. Everyone was admittedly surprised by how well the Chileans had done. They were on top on the group with 4 points. It was all still to play though. Japan, the USWNT and Chile themselves could all still face eliminations. The group was very open and the only one that on the last group match day, had everything to play for.

So it was no surprise the everyone was silent. Even on the bus journey no one was talking. Karima and Carli were both on their phones zoned out. The changing room were eerily quiet. Vlatko seemed to have noticed. "Right" he told them "just gonna keep it...short and sweet. We've got all to play for." Looking around Andonovski continued. "We could lose and crash out or we can win and top the group possibly." He then grimaced. "As for drawing...not favourable but we will take what we will."
To her shock, Karima found herself starting. "How am I gonna change the game?" She asked Carli, panicking when they were in the tunnel waiting. "Relax." The captain smiled. "At least you're can defend."
The national anthem went as a blur to the teenager. Karima was pretty sure she didn't even sing it. Turning to the stands, Karima stopped Emma, Cole and Rami again. Breathing a sigh of relief she thought These are the only people who can calm me down .
From the minute the ref blew her whistle, everyone was at it. To say the South American spiciness had hit the game was an understatement with the first yellow going to the Chileans after just 3 minutes for a foul on Rose.
The games tempo died down quickly and the only thing to report about on the game was the six yellows that had been picked up. The Chileans accounted for 4 of them with the players cautioned on the USWNT being Emily and Karima herself for dragging back Francisa Lara who was on the counterattack. Neither team though had much to show until the breakthrough before halftime.
The U.S won a corner after Endler made an astonishing triple save from Carli. Alex managed to head it onto Carli who headed it past an unlucky Endler. Players and fans alike breathed a massive sigh of relief.
At halftime though, Andonovski appeared stressed. "The Japanese are up 2-0 against Team GB." He told them. "So any slip up and we're out if their result doesn't drastically change." Vlatko summarised. This increased tension even more.
The Chileans clearly got the message as well as they started the half with even more determination. In fact they had 11 shots in the next 20 minutes. Only 3 of them were on target though. Then Karima was surprised to see her name on the board to come off and Ertz to come on. While she understood her lack of experience compared to Julie's , Karima personally thought she was doing well. Staying professional, she shook the coach's hand and sat down next to Ali and Ash. The goalkeeper didn't seem to be too pleased. "That was a shit decision to make." Ash was glowering at Vlatko. Karima sighed. "I don't know whether I had an impact." She truthfully told them. Shaking her head Ash continued "They've left one defensive midfielder on in Mewy. We don't need to just score, we need to defend . Did this guy not learn anything about the 2011 World Cup final?" Ali was trying to calm her down. "Babe it's ok we need to have faith in our team." She cooed.
The game was nerve racking to watch, even as a neutral. Both sides had went all out attack and were just cancelling each other. Ash seemed to be right. Chile were getting more confident with each attack and the U.S appeared... tired.
That's why it was a relief when in the 82nd minute, Vlatko brought Mal on for Alex. Within minutes, the young forward was on the attack with the ball. She linked up with Christen who then squared it other to Carli who finished off the move. Everyone was a lot more calmer now. Apart from the Chileans. The news that the Japanese were now 4-1 up against Team GB brought out a nervy finish that ended in the 3rd minute of added time with Naeher clearing the ball at the halfway line. The U.S celebrated their progression whereas Chile, like Team GB, lay there in devastation. Karima wished a few commiserations before heading off excitedly to Cole, Emma and Rami.
"WE'RE THROUGH!" Karima squealed running towards an emotional Emma, a beaming Cole and an overjoyed Rami. She picked her nephew up and swung him around.
After excitingly trying to predict their next opponents, Karima headed over to the team who were applauding the fans. After they swung their hands and ran towards them, she heard Sonnett whisper "So we're not going home then? Looks like the confession might still be alive."