My Girl

Mom thanked Dr. Onya before helping me into the car.

"Want to talk about it?" She asked. 

I know this was probably an opportunity to start mending our broken bond, but I couldn't. 

"No." I opened the journal and marked the first time I've hated myself since the appointment. 

"Okay." She turned on the radio and we drove the rest of the way in silence. "Jeremiah is at practice, so he won't be coming home until later." 

"Okay." I really did not want to see his face right now anyway. 

"Listen, we need to tell your father." She started.

"What, should we leave him a voicemail?" I asked sarcastically. 

"Don't start with me. I've been trying to reach him for the longest, but he's not picking up. But once he does, and his ass better or I'm filing a report for a missing person, we'll tell him." 

Like I said before, I had no idea how he would take the news. He was a complicated guy. So, I simply responded with okay and drowned out everything with the sound of the music. When we got home, I changed into some sweats and tied my hair up before starting on some homework. I really wish I had kept that internship. 

My phone kept going off with messages congratulating my reunion with Malik. I threw my phone on the floor, but then picked it up to send thank you messages.

Second time I've hated myself since the appointment.

 After what seemed like forever, I heard the door open downstairs. Jeremiah must be back...great. There was a lot of noise, but I couldn't hear much past my AirPods. My mom knocked on my door a couple of seconds later.

"I'm going out to see a client." 

"This late, mom?" 

"Yes, we're doing a practice for her wedding. Jeremiah brought some of his friends over, so be a good host." She said before disappearing. 

Ugh. Great. 

I put my slippers on and headed downstairs. Sure enough there they all were. 

Tall, sweaty, and hot. My eyes couldn't help but fall on Jeremiah first. He was handing water to everyone, with his hair pushed back with his stupid headband. That stupid dimple appeared on his face when he caught my gaze. And those stupid brown eyes. His eyes, as usual, roamed my body. I became more aware of my tank-top and sweats. Wrong outfit choice to host boys. 

I remembered Keon, and then there were two other guys I didn't know.

"Pompoms, this is Chuck and Alex." 

Chuck was the one with curly-ish hair and a really really nice face, and Alex was the one with the ginger hair and equally really really nice face. Chuck had a more rectangular jaw-line and a little stubble growing, while Alex was shaved with a triangle jaw-line and higher cheekbones. Why were all of his friends so damn attractive?

Focus Victoria, focus!

"Hello," I said. I walked past them and to the mini pantry. I grabbed some cookies and chips to put on a platter.

"Jeremiah knows where the drinks are," I said. I handed them the platter or snacks and turned to go back upstairs, but Jeremiah took my hand before I could. 

"Hey, I got your text. You called me a lot of un-holy words." 

I looked back at all his friends. I was not going to have this conversation in front of them.