Homecoming Night

I woke up with only one thing on my mind: today was homecoming day. First thing on my schedule, I was taking my girlfriend out to get pampered. I threw some water on me, put on some slides and joggers, and made my way to the salon. When I got there, Layla had already gotten us seats near the back. 

"Hey, meanie."

"Hey, Victor." She smiled at me. 

"I literally still don't even have a dress." I sat in my seat and showed Macy, my nail tech, the style I wanted from my phone. I was getting gel, of course, with a blue pattern. 

"I hate gender roles. Why can't you just throw on a nice pair of jeans and call it day?"

"Please do not lecture me on the dangers of forsaking feminism in the 21st century." I looked at her before continuing, "How's Dominic?"

She sighed, "His trial date is set for next week. I'm only putting positive things into the universe, everything is going to be fine."

My best friend was so strong. I know myself, and I would've locked myself in my room, and screamed until the neighbors called cps. Anxiety effects people in different ways, I guess. "You both are on the top of my prayer list."

She scoffed, "I haven't been to church in like 8 years, but thank you." Layla's parents weren't the most religious, they mostly believed in things they could see and observe, so, science. Layla has gone with me and my mom a couple of times out of curiosity, but her spiritual journey pretty much ended there. 

"Hey, Lay? You know I love you right?" 

She looked at me and smiled. "To pluto,"

"And back." I finished. "We'll get through this." 

She squirmed in her seat. "Stop talking sentimental or you'll make me shed tears of the weak." 

I laughed and decided to stop talking about boys all together. We talked about anything and everything, from the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy to how Ken from Barbie was just a gay guy in the closet. We got our nails and toes down before topping it all of with clay facials. Layla really hated all of this stuff, but I could tell she appreciated how it took her mind off of all the drama. 

The second thing on my schedule: brunch with one of my mom's clients. I showed up 5 minutes late, but brought some left-over lemon tarts with me. Mom wanted me to meet Jade because her mother happened to be a professor at the University of Vermont. I was supposed to be on my best behavior so my mom could direct the conversation towards my resume. 

"So this is the lovely Victoria." Jade stood up and french kissed me. She was really cute, with a mass of curly hair and a curvaceous body. 

"Nice to meet you." I smiled before greeting my mom, "Hi, mom." 

She gestured for me to sit. The restaurant was the cutest, with itty bitty teacups and cake slices the size of my pinkie. 

"Are you excited for the wedding?" I asked.

"Yes! Your mother has been doing a fabulous job." Jade clapped her hands. "I might have to have her plan all of my events."

My mom laughed at the joke. She hated Jade with a burning passion. "Of course, just give me the call and I'm there. I'll actually be on time, unlike my daughter." She laughed. 

I replicated her fake laugh and checked my watch. Only 45 more minutes. 

"Oh come on, I'm not a fan of punctuality" Jade laughed.

 My mom scratched her neck the way she always did when someone was pissing her off, "We know. Not even to your own wedding rehearsal." My mom downed a cup of coffee.