Chapter 36

"We're working on it

"We're working on it. Carter's friend, Jason, is trying his best to help us."I confessed while looking at my friends, they were one of the reasons I still wore a smile. We were all sitting at the Smiths as planned, that place had became one of our habits and refugee.

"I still can't believe someone is stalking you...oh my god!" Lila muttered as she fidgeted in her seat.

"I'm so sorry, I really should have told you sooner! We have to be careful even if he seems to be only after me. He knows how important you are so he won't think twice to use one of you to reach me."I stated while scanning my friend with my eyes. Maddie closed her eyes a few seconds while trying to calm her breathing.

"Elle is right... we have to trust the boys. I should have followed you though. I knew something wasn't normal as soon as I saw Carter standing next to Nathan in the parking lot." My friend Nicole said before taking a gulp of her orange juice. She was still not wearing her old glasses and her face had a shining glow.

"I lied to you Nicole!! You couldn't have known I was in danger!" I stated under my breath after finishing the last bite of my apple pie.

"We should do a sleepover! I think it would be a great idea after all the shit that has been happing lately." Madelyn proposed next to Lila, the latest applauded three times.

"Oh hell yes!!!! Let's do it! Are you in?" Lila continued while staring at Nicole and I.

I really needed some time with them too, it would cheer me up. In addition to it, we had no school for a week because they had administrative things to do. I had no plans with Carter and I've been trying to avoid him since last night. I still couldn't believe Madden kissed me.

"I'm in too! My parents are out of town again... we can do it at mine's? You can bring Cali too." Nicole proposed as her eyes connected with mine.

"Deal! My parents are always at home lately to take care of Daryl." Lila bellowed, talking about her brother.

"God! I can't wait for tonight! It's gonna be fun. I can come pick you up?" Maddie proposed and her eyes went back and forth from Lila and I.

"It's ok... if you don't mind my dog dirtying you car." I replied, making my friends chuckle.

"So...8pm at Nicole's." Maddie formalized.

——————————————

I stood up in front of my mirror eyeing my outfit whose consisted a pair of leggings and and a big sweatshirt and as I was about to head downstairs my phone started ringing, I fished it out of my pocket before swallowing. Carter.

"H-hi." It was the only thing I dared to say after finding the courage to answer.

"Hi Angel! How are you? Where are you now?" I recognized some familiar voices in the background as he asked.