Chapter 5-6: Four Pieces

"What's your next move now old timer."

Y/N

My so called shopping had dragged on for a while I couldn't keep focus on every little thing Raven and I. She told me to talk a walk let myself refresh. I mean I enjoy the time but I was on the verge of dropping from the shopping. Yeah I get it diaper baby, formula, clothes for Yang was important. I fell like my own mother is taking better care of Yang than we are as parents. Was I walked through town the feeling of a warm morning breath passed through my body grazing over my face. I could find a place in a park take a nap right there. The trees rustled through wind the towns folks had no sense of urgency well in in the park anyways. When I spotted a crowd of people sitting at different tables two per table facing each other. With black and white pieces in front of them.
-hold up a beautiful day like this and you're playing chess? Yeah okay that seems fair.
I wanted to see the game closer. A little kid had an old man by the ends of his ropes. The kid had half of his pawns knights rooks and bishops . While the old timer only had four pieces left. Only four. The king, knight, rook, and bishop. No sign of the queen anywhere on ether side.
"Well young man, are you gonna stand there all day or are you honing to get front row seats?"
"Hey no stalling Mr. Becker!"
I got an open invitation I might as well now. Now that I had a birds eye view of the board I started to process times of defeat if I were the old man. There's no way i would be able to win this even if i had a good fortune semblance. Yet the old man still looked at the board hiding a grin underneath is hand. Is he serious still going to play?
He had his king safely in the middle of this three pieces, but that safety won't be enough. He moves the king out of the safety net of his remaining pieces.
The young kid who was egging on the old timer finally stopped his mind lasered in. What are these two doing it's like a battlefield. This is only a board game? pieces clicked clacked on the board, it was like watching cogs in a machine every single little thing was moving if you so much as drift eye sight for a second you wouldn't understand the movement of one piece. The old man still kept going even after a possible defeat.

************

"Do you think it was worth it?" I asked, after the game I took some time to company the old man.
He took his glasses off storing them in a breast pocket underneath his a morning vest, "in what regards could you be referring to."
"The game. From my point of view, it looked like the match was over but you still kept going. What kind of self satisfaction was there? Did you think you were going to win until the end?"
The man chuckled as if I had said something funny, "there wasn't any satisfaction to it. I taught that young man everything about that game. There always comes a point where the student surpasses their teacher. Besides I used you as a distraction he didn't even know I switch some pieces around."
"You cheated..."
"I won't deny that, but life like that chest game can be to unpredictable. When you get to my age you feel like you've done everything. Nothing more to do but to teach those around you what you know and hopefully they can use the guidance you gave them to help other like themselves. Nevertheless in the end that's all it is. Just a game."
Just a game. If it was just a game why all the extra effort? I wanted to asked the man a bit more, but he was gone before I had a chance to even bat an eye. He was right sometimes things can be unpredictable, if that kid didn't give up on that game why shouldn't I keep a positive attitude.
"Hey you..." you who gets called you? Who would you expect to answer if you just say you. I guess that voice was calling to me my eyes were cuffed immediately after, "I've been looking for you for a while."
"Raven, sorry I was walking about. Are you done with the shopping?"
"Just about. Would you want to grab lunch before we head home?" I gave that option a little thought to it. I don't wanna be out an about to long. I just have a gut feeling something could happen. Someone might recognize me somehow some way, "Y/N, you okay? We don't have to go out to eat if you don't want to."
"It's not that Raven I just have this urge to get back home I'm just concern worried even. I just..."
"Y-Yeah okay..." I could tell I upset her. Her wide eyes of shock Raven couldn't grasps the rush I was in or maybe she just wanted to stay out of the house a little longer. We've been gone for quite awhile it's best to pack our things head home.