Full Story

Remi's POV

I snarl at Peter as I stand in the door way to ensure he doesn't escape. "Well, hello Peter" dad says. "Long time, no see" he states.

"S--Sirius. . . R--Remus" Peter squeaks out. "My friends. . . my old friends" he says. Sirius raises his wand, but dad seized him around the wrist. Gave him a warning took, then turned back to Pettigrew.

"We've been having a little chat, Peter, about what happened the night Lily and James died. You might have missed the finer points while you were squeaking around down there on the bed" he tells him.

"You don't believe him do you? He tried to kill me Remus" Peter squeaks.

"So, we've heard" dad tells him. "I'd like to clear up one or two little matters with you, Peter" he adds.

"He's come to try and kill me again!" Peter exclaims. "He killed Lily and James and now he's going to kill me too. . . You've got to help me, Remus" he pleads.

"No one's going to try and kill you until we've sorted a few things out" dad assures him.

"I knew he'd come after me! I knew he'd be back for me! I've been waiting for this for twelve years" Peter states.

"You knew Sirius was going to break out of Azkaban? When nobody has ever done it before?" dad asks him.

"He's got dark powers the rest of us can only dream of" Peter says shrilly. "How else did he get out of there? I suppose He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named taught him a few tricks" he states.

Black started to laugh, a horrible, mirthless laugh that filled the whole room. "Voldemort, teach me tricks?" he asks. Pettigrew flinched as though Black had brandished a whip at him. "What, scared to hear your old master's name?" he asks Peter. "I don't blame you, Peter. His lot aren't very happy with you, are they?" he asks.

"Don't know what you mean, Sirius" Peter mutters.

"You haven't been hiding from me for twelve years" Sirius states. "You've been hiding from Voldemort's old supporters. I heard things in Azkaban, Peter. . . They all think you're dead, or you'd have to answer to them. . . I've heard them screaming all sorts of things in their sleep. Sounds like they think the double-crosser double-crossed them. Voldemort went to the Potters' on your information. . . and Voldemort met his downfall there. And not all Voldemort's supporters ended up in Azkaban, did they? There are still plenty out here, biding their time, pretending they've seen the error of their ways" he explains.

"You don't believe this -- this madness, Remus" Peter pleads.

"I must admit, Peter, I have difficulty in understanding why an innocent man would want to spend twelve years as a rat" dad tells him.

"Innocent, but scared!" he squeals. "If Voldemort's supporters were after me, it was because I put one of their best men in Azkaban -- the spy, Sirius Black" he states.

"How dare you" Sirius growls. "I, a spy for Voldemort? When did I ever sneak around people who were stronger and more powerful than myself? But you, Peter -- I'll never understand why I didn't see you were the spy from the start. You always liked big friends who'd look after you, didn't you? It used to be us. . . me and Remus. . . and James" he states. "Lily and James only made you Secret-Keeper because I suggested it" he hisses. "I thought it was the perfect plan. . . a bluff. . . Voldemort would be sure to come after me, would never dream they'd use a weak, talentless thing like you. . . It must have been the finest moment of your miserable life, telling Voldemort you could hand him the Potters" he adds.

"Can -- can I say something?" Hermione asks my dad timidly.

"Certainly Hermione" he tells her.

"Well -- Scabbers -- I mean, this -- this man -- he's been sleeping in Harry's dormitory for three years. If he's working for You-Know-Who, how come he never tried to hurt Harry before now?" she asks. Good question.

"You see, Remus? I have never hurt a hair of Harry's head! Why should I?" Peter asks.

"I'll tell you why" Sirius sneers. "Because you never did anything for anyone unless you could see what was in it for you. You weren't about to commit murder right under Albus Dumbledore's nose. You'd want to be quite sure Voldemort was the biggest bully in the playground before you went back to him, wouldn't you? Why else did you find a wizard family to take you in? Keeping an ear out for news, weren't you, Peter? Just in case your old protector regained strength, and it was safe to rejoin him" he explains.

"Er -- Mr. Black -- Sirius?" Hermione stutters. Black jumped at being addressed like this and stared at Hermione as though he had never seen anything quite like her. I shake with silent laughter. "If you don't mind me asking, how -- how did you get out of Azkaban, if you didn't use Dark Magic?" she asks him.

"I think the only reason I never lost my mind is that I knew I was innocent. It kept me sane and helped me keep my powers. I could transform in my cell. . . become a dog. Dementors can't see, you know" he starts to explain. "They feel their way toward people by feeding off their emotions. They could tell that my feelings were less human, less complex when I was a dog. But they thought, that I was losing my mind like everyone else in there, so it didn't trouble them. But I was weak, very weak, and I had no hope of driving them away from me without a wand" he continues.

"But then I saw Peter in that picture. . . I realized he was at Hogwarts with Harry. . . perfectly positioned to act, if one hint reached his ears that the Dark Side was gathering strength again. Ready to strike at the moment he could be sure of allies. . . and to deliver the last Potter to them. if he gave them Harry, who'd dare say he'd betrayed Lord Voldemort? He'd be welcomed back with honors" he explains. "So you see, I had to do something. I was the only one who knew Peter was still alive" he states.

"It was as if someone had lit a fire In my head, and the Dementors couldn't destroy it. And it gave me strength, it cleared my mind. So, one night when they opened my door to bring food, I slipped past them as a dog. I was thin, very thin. . . thin enough to slip through the bars. I swam as a dog back to the mainland. I journeyed north and slipped into the Hogwarts grounds as a dog. I've been living in the forest ever since, except when I came to watch the Quidditch, of course. You fly as well as your father did, Harry and you as good as your mother Remi" he tells us.

"Believe me, Harry. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them" he begs. Harry nods his head. Dad chains Peter to himself and Ron. I then lead the way out with Crookshanks and Hermione. We got outside and I stretch my muscles as Harry talks to Sirius.

"Harry, Remi" Hermione says and we look at her. She points to the sky and I look up to see the full moon appear from behind a cloud. I howl at it out of instinct. I look at dad who had gone rigid looking up at it. Sirius runs over to him.

"Remus, old friend... did you take your potion tonight?" he asks. Dad shakes his head.

"He's not safe" Hermione whimpers as she pulls Harry back towards her and Ron.

"Run. All of you. Now!" Sirius shouts at the others. But none of them do, transfixed, watching as Dad slowly starts to transform. Black steps forward, wraps his arms around his friend, presses his mouth to his ear. "You know the man you truly are, Remus. This flesh is only flesh" he states. "This heart is where you truly live. This heart! Here!" he shouts.

Peter uses the distraction to transform and escape. Dad howls as he tosses Sirius into the air. He crouches down on four paws. I whine approaching him and he looks at me. He nudges me fondly licking my forehead. We both howl at the moon together.

A/N

Picture above of Peter Pettigrew and gif on the external link of Moony howling at the moon.