Chapter 24

Killer's POV

Jeff arrived around lunch time in San Francisco and headed to his hotel to check in. Jeff settled into his room and checked on his prey. He saw she was at a restaurant on the wharf, so he figured she was at lunch. I guess I'll have lunch there too so I can check her out in person Jeff mused to himself. He headed down to his car and put the restaurant into his phone for directions. Once at the restaurant Jeff took a seat at the bar that gave him a good vantage point to watch his prey. Looks like she's having lunch with fellow lawyers from her office. Since she's a lawyer there's a chance she's the smartest of my prey, so I'll have to think on how best to approach her. He felt a thrill that she might be smart enough to prove a challenge. She will have herself quite the watery grave. When she got up to leave with her party, she looked right at him. He wasn't looking directly at her at the moment, so he felt safe but also felt even more thrilled that she was a worthy prey. He decided to stay for his lunch and would watch her more later. He felt satisfied with this first Chess move.

Victim's POV

Lauren felt unsettled as she got into her car. She called the Agents who had gotten into contact with her. "Hi Agent Choi, this is Lauren. Nothing has happened yet but well. I don't know. I was just at lunch with colleagues and I could FEEL myself being watched. I have no evidence to support this just my instinct." Lauren said. Agent Choi sighed. "What I tell you cannot be told to anyone else. Think of this like you would with a client and how it's privileged. This is information we don't want others to know so that it's easier to nail him." Agent Choi said. "I understand." Lauren said softly. "When we told you to report anything unusual there's something specific, we're looking for. Before he strikes, he begins seducing his victim. He sends gifts and notes from a secret admirer. The last victim he made it seem like it was coming from someone she knew while still signing it as an admirer, so she didn't think it unusual. If you get something like even if it seems to be from someone you know please let me know." Agent Choi said. "Ok, I'll let you know the second that happens. Thank you for the heads up and I promise not to share it." Lauren said. "You're welcome. I'll check in with you later. Bye." Agent Choi said. "I appreciate that. Bye." Lauren replied before disconnecting the call.

Agent Martinez POV

"Hey partner. The Director wants us in her office." Agent Stein said. They walked together to their Director's office and took seats at her desk. "Thank you for meeting with me. We have reason to believe Nightmare Killer is currently in San Francisco getting ready to make his next move. We don't have concrete evidence as he hasn't made a move yet. Just the chosen victim there felt someone watching her. We can't dismiss something like that right now especially because she's a lawyer. You know they naturally are aware of everything around them. They have to have a sharp awareness for their career. She hasn't received anything yet though. The Agent on her case decided to entrust her on what exactly to watch for so she'd be sure to let them know. The rest of us discussed this and decided it's a good idea to let his chosen victims know. We just have to make sure Gabrielle knows not to tell anyone not even Nicole." The Director said. "Ok, I'll let her know. I know that we can trust her not to tell anyone." Agent Martinez told his Director.

Gabby was painting in her studio when her phone rang. She saw it was her lovebug and happily answered. "Hey lovebug, what's up?" Gabby answered. "Just checking if my butterfly had lunch yet." Mateo said. "Nope, no lunch date with the ladies today. So I haven't bothered yet." I replied. "Ok, I'm going to grab food and meet you. Nothing special. Which fast food establishment do you want?" Mateo asked. "Rally's." I answered immediately. "Oooh that's a good idea. What do you want?" Mateo asked. "The Baconzilla meal with a LARGE fry. And I mean large Mateo. AND NONE OF THEM BETTER BE MISSING. Remember, JOEY DOESN'T SHARE!" I said with force. "That's what I always get too. Ok, I promise on all that is holy not to touch your fries as I do want to continue breathing." Mateo said with a laugh. "Ok, see you soon lovebug." I chirped cheerfully. "See you soon butterfly. I love you." Mateo chuckled as he disconnected the phone. He didn't even realize he said his first I love you and that it was by phone. He was just in too good a mood from the conversation to realize the words he said.