Chapter 51

"How are you going to keep your brother from finding out about the serial killer that's stalking you?" Maria asked me over lunch. 

 "Very carefully." I said with a shrug. 

"When are you flying back to PA?" Maria asked Nicole. 

 "Friday night. I wanted to make sure we had time to get home from work and unwind. We kind of timed it with her brother's arrival so that Gabby could take us to the airport and pick her brother up." Nicole said. 

 "Very convenient. Just like life should be. I can't wait to see my brother." I said. 

 "Are we still helping you tomorrow at your dad's house?" Nicole asked. 

 "Your dad's house?" Maria asked with a confused look. 

 "Yes, he left it to us when he passed. My grandparents moved in to keep it up for us until I was of age. Which was convenient since my mom gave me custody of my brother after I left her. It was nice to have an actual house to finish raising him in. He was a hellion as a teen so yes, all that space was nice. I won't forget the time he set the pool on fire. Of course more recently he told me it wasn't all him, but our cousin and he only helped. Now that I know her better, I believe him. But yes, nothing like a teen raising a teen." I said with a sigh.

"Why do you live here if you already have a house?" Maria asked. 

 "It's suburbia. I'm not suburban. But seriously, even though River Ridge is located just outside New Orleans it's not close enough. I wanted my business to be located here and to be near it. I kept it though for my brother. He's not a city boy nor country. So it's perfect for him. I've kept it up for him having maintenance done twice a year. Make sure everything is running right, etc. I stop by every two months to clean so it shouldn't be bad tomorrow. A light dusting and then we can decorate it for Christmas for him." I explained. 

 "Our little Gabby is already a momma." Nicole teased. 

 "Hush woman, you know he got the worse of the beatings from my mommy dearest men." I said as I poked her in the side. 

 "It doesn't mean you have to be a momma bear for him forever. He's 24 not 14. He's been to war. He's a man now." Nicole said seriously this time. 

 "Speaking of momma bear..."I said trailing off while looking at Nicole. 

 "Fine, you're right." Nicole said with a laugh.

Killer's POV

Jeff couldn't stand seeing that woman claiming to be Leah's mother on tv crying crocodile tears. Jeff was currently watching the news and the woman who birthed Leah was using her 15 minutes of fame to cry about how happy the serial killer didn't get her precious baby. How glad she is her baby is still alive. That woman was the reason he was supposed to save Leah and set her free. He hated that he couldn't save her but the least he could do is put her mother to shame. He sent a message to the various news channels in St Louis informing them just kind of woman she actually is. After he was done that, he decided to go Christmas shopping for his remaining ladies since it was now December 18th. Shopping this late means he'd have to pay to have it shipped faster to ensure it's there in time. He laughed at his joke since of course he wouldn't be the one paying as he hacked into a random account. Jeff decided that even though he probably wasn't going to save Leah that she still deserved a gift, so he bought her one as well.

Gabrielle's POV

That evening I cooked dinner for us and brought it into the living room. I was relieved that Mateo seemed lighter which I figured is due to the therapist he's being forced to see. 

 "Will your brother be staying here?" Mateo asked. 

 "No. I never thought to tell you, but we own a house already. When my father passed, he had left his house to us in his will. It's in River Ridge and I've kept it up for my brother. My brother always let me know he didn't want to live in the city like I do so I kept it for him. I've kept it maintained by having it checked twice a year to make sure everything is in working order. I'm actually going there tomorrow with Nicole and Maria to clean and decorate it for him. I told you we'd be doing Christmas Eve with my family so we could have Christmas day with yours. Well that's where we always do my family's. At my dad's place." I said. 

 "That's good that he'll already have a place to call home when he gets out of the army in April. Explains why he can use his money on buying a shop with you. Why doesn't he use it to go to college though?" Mateo asked. 

 "He hates school with a passion. His IQ tested high and mom never did anything about it. Not even having him bumped up in public school. Nothing for him to be challenged. So he couldn't sit still in classes and hated being there because he already knew what they were teaching. Then when he moved here because my mom didn't want him and gave me custody Louisiana fucked him over. Claiming he didn't have the credits to be in the 10th grade. Can you imagine Louisiana doubting the education he received in PA considering our state is at the bottom of education? Having the nerve to put my brother back a grade. I was 18 and didn't even know what to do about it. Didn't even fight it. I wish I had. He ended up dropping out. He finished 9th grade all over again and dropped out in the 10th. Got his GED instead and that's the reason he joined the Army at 18. The others won't accept the GED which is honestly ridiculous. Life happens..like this did. It doesn't make someone less intelligent." I said angrily. 

 "Ok, I can see why he'd never want to return to a classroom. That's fucked up. I love our city and this state even but the way it's run when it comes to education is insane. You have the middleclass giving the bulk of their income to put their kids in private schools, but the poor have no choice but the public schools unless they get scholarships." Mateo said.

"We went off on a bit of a tangent." I said with a laugh. 

 "That we did. Will you need help tomorrow?" Mateo asked. 

 "No we should be fine." I said.  

"Ok then in that case I'll make sure dinner is ready for when you get home." Mateo said. 

 "You're the best." I said leaning over and kissing him.

A/N:  As y'all know Gabrielle's experiences are my own so the above is true.  I was my brother's legal guardian at 18 and when he joined me in Louisiana the school system really did do that to him.  My brother really is too smart for his own good and hated school because he knew everything because our mom wouldn't get him tested and moved up in school so that it would be a challenge.  So yes, Louisiana really did fuck him over like that.  So he really did end up dropping out.  Le sigh.