Chapter 39

Agent Martinez POV

"The Nightmare Killer struck in Phoenix over the weekend." The Director said. 

 "So is he just mobile now that we know where he lives in PA? What did he go from PA to FL blew off some steam. Then left for FL for Phoenix stopping in New Orleans to visit his favorite lady before continuing to Phoenix?" Agent Martinez asked. 

"We're waiting to hear back from the profiler handling the case to get their opinion on that." The Director said. 

"Is he no longer giving gifts? No warnings?" Agent Stein asked. 

"The profiler was certain that he wouldn't deviate from giving his ladies his gifts. He's romancing them. The profiler was right. He isn't deviating from that plan. However, he no longer showers them with gifts throughout the week leading up to their death. He gives them the gifts when he makes the move to kill them that way there's no warning. That's all for now. If I receive any news, then I'll let you both know." The Director said dismissing them.

Killer's POV

Jeff was feeling unsatisfied with giving the gifts the day he rescues them. They don't even get to see them which is not ok. How can I properly court them if they can't see how much I appreciate them he thought to himself. Especially my angel. She needs to know how special she is to me. Jeff decided on a new plan. He was going to begin gifting them with a gift each week so that way they'll never know when he'll strike but they'll still get their gifts. That way there can be a proper courting. He went on Amazon using a random person's account from California. He made sure to show his location as the same so they wouldn't know he was in New Orleans. He added something to his cart for each lady. 

 He selected to have each gift wrapped with their individual addresses and notes included that read, "Each week you'll receive a gift from me to show my love so that I may court you as you deserve. This also means you'll never when I'm coming to rescue you. Sweet dreams." Only Gabrielle's note ended with "Sweet dreams Angel.".

Protagonist POV

"There they are, my best ghoulie girlies!" I said when spotted Nicole and Maria arriving for our lunch. 

"I brought a truck full of the best tacos. Not really a truck full but they were bought from a food truck on Claiborne Ave. Best tacos I've found in this city." Maria said. 

"Great. Lets head up to my apartment since the temperature outside is finally cooling off too much for me." I said. 

"It's like you never lived in PA. It's only in the 50's." Nicole said rolling her eyes. 

"Exactly I lived there but I wasn't born there. It's not in my blood. So the 50's are too cool for me to enjoy." I said with a shrug. Nicole just laughed as we headed up to my apartment.

"You've got a cute place." Maria said as she looked around. 

"Yep, it's small but it's enough for just Shadow and I." I said with pride in my home. 

"And my brother." Maria added. 

"I guess he does spend every night here. But no, I don't have the room for him to actually move in because I would have nowhere for his stuff to go. My bedroom closet is regular size not walk-in or anything." I replied. 

"I'm teasing. Though it may be something you might want to think about it. It's the next step in a relationship." Maria said. 

"Actually I have been. My brother and I have a plan. He's good at drawing too and gets a grant from the army. He's going to use it to buy a place and we'll be co-owners. No more renting. He gets out this spring. So if Mateo was interested, we could have that discussion." I said while blushing.