Chapter 59

Time has passed since that happy weekend at my family's camp house. Mateo has been better while I've been quietly accepting, I might die. I've researched it and I know that the majority of serial killers are never caught. They usually stop when they die or are caught for a different crime. I've accepted that their ability to not have human emotions makes them much smarter. I know that my only chance is if I can defend myself before he drugs me. Once the drug is in me it's game over for me. These are the things I'm thinking and accepting as I head to a lawyer's office to prepare for possibly dying. My best friend, Nicole, is a lawyer but I'm not going to her. I'm not telling anyone, and I don't want her to have the burden of that secret on her. Another part of me is that I don't want her to think I'm just laying down and accepting fate. I plan on fighting, but I don't want to take chances.

The receptionist walked me into the lawyer's office. 

"How may I help you Miss Silcio?" Mr. McConnell asked. I took a seat as the receptionist placed a water on the desk for me. 

"I need to make a will dividing my property and such among my loved ones." I said resolutely. 

"You know I always thought more young adults should because accidents happen but it's not usual, I actually get a young adult to make one. Any particular reason?" Mr. McConnell asked curiously. 

"I'm sure you've heard of the Nightmare Catcher as dubbed by the media? He has a victim chosen for our own city and well it's me. I've accepted that as he goes through women like we're nothing that it's only a matter of time before I'm next. So if I'm unable to defend myself and the inevitable happens I need to be ready. One less thing for my loved ones to deal with." I said. The lawyer sat silent in shock and sadness. 

"Ok, I'm going to do my best to make this as painless as possible and be as helpful as I can." Mr. McConnell said. After that we spent an hour or so getting my will together and what I wanted when I died. The funeral planning and such. Mr. McConnell was a god send honestly with how helpful he was. I opted to make a video as well which he allowed me to do in privacy.

"Hello. Hello? I know that's a terrible beginning. How does one begin these things? I'm dead but not yet! This is going terribly but I'm leaving this as is because this is the real me. The me that each of you love. Nicole I've known you the longest of anyone. We met when we were just four. My brother was just a baby so he couldn't know me, yet which is why you've known me longer. We had a good life together, didn't we? We had so many adventures with the wild of our imaginations. Do you remember how we had our own fictional series we wrote together after reading the Sweet Valley series. We wrote about our own identical twins solving mysteries. Remember when we came up with our own comedy series that we recorded on tapes? You'd pretend to call in asking for advice on the most ridiculous things and I'd give advice really rudely like duh you should already know these things? Then when Nickelodeon produced a comedy sketch using a young Amanda Bynes doing EXACTLY that?? I still wonder if someone somehow heard us and stole our idea! How about when we were teens during that one sleepover when we went to a graveyard at night to ghost hunt?! Man we have so many crazy memories. There's no one better than you I could have had those adventures with. I'm sorry that we can't continue those adventures or have kids that continue our adventures for us. But I'll still be here remember that when you hear things in your home and decide to ghost hunt. It's just me!" I said with a laugh. I took a pause before continuing.

"My sweet baby brother. I have so many regrets with you. I couldn't be a better mother and protect you. I was too young to know what to do against the abusive men the woman who birthed us brought into our lives. I know this but I still can't help but wish I'd done better for you. Please live a good life. Do not blame Mateo. There's nothing he could have done to stop this and he's blaming himself. You'll need each other. Please I beg you to be there for him and him for you. Do not go on a revenge mission. You have a house that our dad provided. You have my business. Make yourself a beautiful life. Find someone to love and have the kids that I can't. I want the best for my baby brother so make it happen. I know you can. What we went through won't make you a bad dad. It'll make you a great dad. I know you don't plan on settling down and having your own kids because you think what we went through will make you the same. But I know better. I'm the one that raised you. You will be a good husband and father. I know it. I love you baby brother. My ghost will visit you too even though you don't believe in ghosts like Nicole and I do." I said. I paused again to cry because I really worry about what will become of my brother and Mateo.