Chapter 53

"I cannot believe your mom got me the ingredient I needed to make dinuguan. My brother is going to be so pleased." I said as we got out of the car at my brother's place. I unlocked the front door and opened it. I held it for Mateo who was carrying the dish like it was a newborn baby. I may have threatened his manhood if he dropped it. He set it down on the kitchen counter while I got a deep pot out. I dumped it into the pot and began heating it up. Then I grabbed the rice maker and dumped rice in, filled it with water, and then began cooking the rice. 

"Lewis must be out back." I said as I headed to the backdoor.

"Hey Junior, whatcha up to back here?" I asked. 

"Just enjoying the view. I'm glad I spent the money last summer having the backyard and pool redone. I can't wait to enjoy it this summer. By the way Mateo if it's 60 like it's supposed to be on Christmas Eve then you better bring your swimsuit. I guarantee we'll end up in the pool. It happens every Christmas if it's even slightly warm. All of our crazy aunts and cousins will get in. Gabs always refuses but always ends up in anyways by force." Lewis said. 

"I always refuse because 60 isn't warm enough and the water is definitely not warm enough. Y'all are fucking insane. Also, when he says by force, he means himself. He is always the guilty party for me ending up in the pool." I said glaring at my brother. 

"I'll make sure to bring one. It is really sweet back here." Mateo said as he looked around. 

"Anyways, JUNIOR. I made our favorite. It's heating up right now. So lunch will be ready soon." I said. 

"By favorite I'm assuming you mean my second favorite since you never learned to make the first." Lewis said. 

"Oh I definitely mean your favorite. I looked up the recipe and got ALL the ingredients." I said grinning. 

"All? The pig's blood?" Lewis said. "Yep!" I exclaimed.

I went back inside to stir the stew. After thirty minutes the dinuguan was heated up and the rice was ready. I was excited to try it. I got 3 bowls and called the boys in. We filled our bowls and sat down at the kitchen table. I could see Mateo eyeing his bowl skeptically. 

"Come on lovebug. Be brave." I said. I watched Mateo let out a sigh before lifting the spoon to his mouth. I'd already taken a bite and knew it tasted just as my Great Aunt made it. Mateo's face brightened after the first bite and easily took a second. 

"Despite knowing what's in this it's really good. Like I'll eat this again and again type of really good." Mateo said. I beamed with happiness. 

"I'm glad!!" I said. 

"It does taste just as maw-maw and our great Aunt Joy made it. So you really did make my favorite. Or did you? You got this from another Filipino, didn't you?" Lewis asked with a suspicious look. 

"I watched her make it." Mateo said confirming it was me and not another Filipino.

"So how did you and my sister meet?" Lewis asked. 

"We met through a case I'm working on. After meeting her I'm sure you can understand why I wouldn't let her get away." Mateo said. 

"My sister is one of a kind. I don't know how many would put up with a brother like me. Put their lives on hold to do so. I didn't make it easy on her in my teen years. But she hung in there for me. Which means you better never hurt her." Lewis said looking Mateo dead in the eye.

"I won't. She's exactly what I was waiting for. I won't ruin that." Mateo said seriously before kissing me tenderly. 

"Good. Welcome to this crazy fucking family then." Lewis said.