Chapter 45

The week flew by with no results on the serial killer front. They checked every property purchased within the last year inside the city limits and couldn't find a single one tied to him. All was quiet on that front. Next week they'd be checking rental properties which will be fruitless if he's in another city preparing for a kill as they suspect he will be based on the two-week timeline.

I was trying to decide what to wear for this evening at Celebration in the Oaks. I looked at my phone and saw it was supposed to be around 40 degrees after the sun sets. I pulled on my skinny jeans that I would wear with knee high boots. I put on a thick loose sweater that fell to my knees. I put a cute scarf around my neck and figured that would be enough for that temperature. I grabbed my favorite knee-high boots and put them by my front door. I made some hot chocolate and added some French vanilla creamer to it and stirred. Then I went and sat out on my balcony watching the skyline turn pink as the sun set.

I had just finished my last sip of my hot chocolate when Mateo arrived. 

 "Right now I wish I could paint too. You look so beautiful with the sunlight fading all around you." Mateo said as he drank me in. I smiled as I put my mug on my little table. I stood up and approached Mateo. He met me with a kiss. 

 "Are you ready to go?" Mateo asked. 

 "Oui. Laissez le bon temps rouler." I replied as I slight my boots on at my door.

Mateo parked the car and I could already see all the sparkling lights in the park from the lot. I squealed like a little girl as I grabbed Mateo's hand and began dragging him towards the entrance to the park. 

 "Come on slow poke. You're holding us back from the magic." I said determinedly as I continued to drag him. Mateo laughed as he began walking at a normal pace. He interlocked our fingers as we walked into the park and I was immediately dazzled. The park is beautiful on its own, but you add the lights and decorations and it goes to a whole new level. 

 "I love oak trees. So beautiful and haunting how their branches reach out going in different directions. Like this one goes to the ground. It's inviting us up!" I said as I started walking up the branch. Mateo joined me and we sat up in the tree for a bit just staring out at the park all done up in its Christmas splendor. 

 "I could stay here forever with you." Mateo said as he glanced at me lit up by the tree, we sat in. "Same." I said as I squeezed his hand.

We got down from the tree and began walking around. Couples and families were everywhere. I leaned my head on Mateo's shoulder and he wrapped his arm around me as we walked around gazing at the sights without talking. 

 "Do you know the city also does Miracle on Fulton St? There will be more pretty lights there. I was thinking we could stop there, grab dinner, and then go to karaoke." Mateo said. 

 "Really? I'd love that. I love you." I said happily. We were there for an hour seeing everything there was to see. 

 "It was well worth the wait to see this with you." I said dreamily feeling the magic of romance around me in the dazzling lights. Mateo smiled down at me before wrapping me up in his arms and kissing me silly.

 "Lets grab hot chocolate from that stand and head back to the car." Mateo suggested. 

 "Oooh he has caramel hot chocolate. That's my choice!" I said excitedly. Mateo smiled as he ordered himself a regular hot chocolate and the caramel hot chocolate for me. I took a sip and beamed. 

 "It's as good as I imagined! Here try it." I said as I held it out to Mateo. He took a sip and nodded. 

 "Very good." He agreed as he took my free hand in his and we began walking back to his car.

We reached downtown and walked to Fulton St and it was magical as well. We saw a light up decoration that paid homage to our state's Cajun side with the bon fire and all. There was a light up of a Santa in a sleigh being pulled by alligators. My favorite was a huge lit up ornament that we could walk through. I snapped pictures of everything including the ornament before Mateo pulled me into it to kiss me under it. We went to a nearby restaurant and ate. Then we left for karaoke.

My girls and I now have three songs we do together every week. Wannabe by Spice Girls and Mmmbop by Hanson. Maria and I always do Valerie the Amy Winehouse Mark Ronson version. Mateo and I are always trying a new cheesy duet together. Then there is William and Lindsey who both still refuse to sing. We've also begun playing pool together in-between our songs. Mateo learned that I become like a pro the more alcohol I have in me. 

 "I still don't understand that. Alcohol should be making you worse. How do you get better?" Mateo asked.

"I actually have a theory on this. I think when sober I'm thinking about it too much. Trying to math too hard and figure out the exact angle I need to hit at etc. Then once alcohol gets in me, I stop doing all that and just play. I think my more relaxed state makes me better than my stressed-out math state. That is my theory and I stand by it." I answered. 

 "Hm. That's a very sound theory actually." Mateo said as he nibbled on my ear from behind.

 "We're on the same team. Don't distract me while I'm trying to get the 8-ball in. Are you trying to make me scratch on it? That's an instant L Mateo Antonio Martinez." I said in horror that he'd help the other team out. 

 "Sorry butterfly. I couldn't resist. Definitely not trying to help the other team out. If we lose that means a shot for us. You know I try to keep my lightweight girlfriend from having too many." Mateo said.

"Then no distracting me senor." I said. Then I bent back down aiming and then striking. 

"BOOM. That's game. We win!" I said standing back up.

 "Come on William. You've let me down. Lets go take our shots now." Nicole said as she tsked at her fiancé. Karaoke wound down so we made our rounds saying our goodbyes then headed home. We held hands as we made the walk back. 

 "Did you have fun? You've been pretty stressed all week, so I hope this helped." I said as I squeezed Mateo's hand. 

 "I did. Thank you. You always calm me." Mateo said as he squeezed my hand back. 

 "Good. I had a good time too. Celebration in the Oak with you was as romantic as I imagined it to be. Thank you for going there with me." I said. 

 "You're welcome mi Corazon." Mateo said.

A/N:  Wattpad is tripping and not letting me edit.  Sorry!