Chapter 36

Killer's POV

It had been a twenty-two-hour drive but took two days as Jeff broke it up to get sleep. Jeff arrived about two in the afternoon Wednesday and opted for a dingey motel where they don't really pay attention to who is getting rooms from them. Due to them knowing it's criminals and prostitutes. Jeff decided to rest for today and tomorrow he'd shop for his Phoenix lady. Then he'd break into her place to get the earrings and familiarize with it. Then Friday he'd release her from her dreams forever. Then Saturday he'd drive back to New Orleans and likely get back on Monday. Enough time for the heat to die down, and the heat to be turned up in Phoenix. Jeff felt very content in his plan.

That afternoon I stayed holed up in my studio as I have since Monday. I haven't felt social. I haven't met my friends for lunch. I've only been seeing my employees and Mateo.  Also, of course my Shadow who has sensed I'm not in the most stable spot mentally. He's been very clingy at my side. Out of the dogs I've had through the years he's been my best. He's my first rescue and from now on I'll only rescue as I think it's why he loves me more. He knows we both came from somewhere broken. We healed together. Due to my antisocial I wasn't surprised when I received a group text from my ghoulies asking if I was going to self defense tonight. I replied back to let them know I'd attend since it was the last class after all. At three pm I decided to just go home and catch a nap before class. I hadn't been sleeping well since Monday due to nightmares.

I let Shadow do his business before heading up. I got in bed and Shadow laid right next to me. At six in the evening I woke up to Mateo caressing my face. "Did you have a good nap mi Corazon?" Mateo asked. 

"Yes, I needed it." I said with a smile up at him. 

"Let's get some food in you before your class." Mateo said. 

"I hate working out with a full belly." I said grumpily as I followed him to the living room. 

"Luckily for you I know that. It's just a light salad." Mateo said. 

"Thank you." I said as I kissed him. Mateo turned on the Golden Girls. He was feeling very concerned about me and didn't know how to cheer me up. I could tell he was feeling lost about what to do. "You're enough lovebug. Just you being here is enough. Just give me time and be here. That's all I need." I said.

Mateo's POV

Once she left for her class I hurried with my plans. I know what she said but I don't care. I want to do something sweet for her. I strung fairy lights around her balcony, put a pretty tablecloth over her small balcony table with a candle on top of it and a bottle of honey cherry wine. I rushed to Zea Rotisserie and picked up our meal. I'd gotten two of those fancy trays with a silver lid and plated our meals and put them on the tray with the lid over the food. On the second tray I put our desserts and covered that as well. Then it was time to leave so I set her mini Google home speaker by next to the candle and had it already playing her crush playlist softly. Then I left to pick her up.

"I'm here to pick up Senorita Gabrielle Marie Silcio for a romantic evening." I said as I held my arm out to her. I was wearing a fancy tuxedo to go with the evening. Gabby stood between my sister and her chosen sister just blinking incredulously at me. 

"Are you planning on catching flies with that mouth? If not, you might want to close it." I said with a wink. 

"What's going on? I told you that you're enough that I don't need you to do anything." Gabby said still at a loss. 

"I heard you, but I happen to think you deserve the world. I'd get you the moon too if I could." I told her. She took my arm and let me lead her to the passenger seat. I opened the car door for her for her and helped her into her seat. Once I was in the car she asked where we were going and mentioned that she wasn't dressed for it. 

"Also if you haven't noticed I'm gross and sweaty." Gabby said. 

"You're fucking beautiful. But don't worry we're stopping at home." I said with a smile. When we got back, I walked her to the bedroom not letting her see the living room. "I laid a dress and shoes there for you. Take a quick shower and get ready." I said with a smile.

I was out of the shower and looking at the beautiful dress he'd bought me. It was a daring shade of red that left my shoulders bare as it was a halter top that tied behind my neck. The bodice was tight with the skirt of it swirling around my thighs only going between the middle of my thighs and knees. So short but not sinfully short. I twirled in it before slipping on the sexy red heels that went with it. I did a quick makeup job and left my room. Mateo was waiting with his arm held out for me. I took his arm and expected to leave my apartment, but he led me to my balcony. I was awe struck by the dazzling lights and the lit candle with the music softly playing. 

"Mateo..." I said but didn't continue because I was speechless. Mateo just smiled as he pulled my chair out. 

"Please sit Senorita." Taking his hand as he helped me to sit. "I'll be back with the food Senorita Silcio." Mateo said with a teasing glint in his dark eyes.

I watched him disappear inside only to return with a fancy tray. He removed the lid with a flourish and placed delicious looking food in front of me then food across from me. He put the tray to the side and sat down. 

"A little birdie got to you again, didn't they? Or you guessed my favorite dish from Zea's?" I asked looking at my Sedona Chicken Panini with a side of roasted corn grits. I was almost drooling as I picked up my panini. I groaned as I tasted the caramelized onions, roasted garlic, chipotle aioli with the chicken. I'm in a Fae heaven I thought certainly to myself. 

"Definitely a little birdie whispered to me again." Mateo said as he poured wine into my wine glass. I took a sip and moaned. 

"Oooh that's a good red." I said. 

"Not as good as you in red." Mateo said as he looked at me appreciatively. I blushed. 

"Thank you. Did my birdie forget to tell you of my love for Zea's roasted potatoes?" I asked. 

"No they didn't. I love those too, but it would appear that Zea's rudely got rid of the crowd favorite so alas we are both missing out on the roasted potatoes." Mateo said in a mournful tone.

Once we were done, he picked up the tray and cleared the table. "I'll be back with the dessert Senorita." Mateo told me with a tender smile. He disappeared into the apartment then came back out with another fancy tray. He placed a slice of cheesecake in front of me and a chocolate caramel brownie in his place then set the tray down again. 

 "Some Cheesecake for my sweet Golden Girl." Mateo said as he sat in his seat. When we were done Mateo once again used the tray to clear table and asked me to stay in my seat.

Mateo's POV

I quickly put the dishes in the dishwasher so that Gabby wouldn't have to worry about the dishes. I had fed Shadow while we ate so I let him out now so that we wouldn't have to worry about him going out during a romantic moment. Once that was done, I went back out to the balcony. 

"May I have the honor of this dance?" I asked as I held my hand out to my beautiful butterfly. Her face was glowing with love as she accepted my hand. I pulled her up and took her in. She looked so beautiful and sexy in the red dress I got for her. I had hidden it in her closet before I woke her up from her nap earlier. A certain dress shop owner had her measurements for me. I pulled her into me as I began swaying us to an appropriately titled song I Luv U by Henry.

"You look so beautiful under the moon, stars, and lights. You look as beautiful as your heart. My heart beats only for you. I love you more than words can say mi Corazon." I said knowing I sounded cheesy as fuck. But I didn't care because I meant every word. We swayed and twirled on her balcony sometimes hearing whistles from people on the street. It was 10 at night when I decided it was time to take things to the bedroom. I dipped her then brought her back up to my lips. I took her lips passionately before twirling her towards the open window. I smacked her butt and told her I'd meet her in the bedroom. I blew out the candle and grabbed the speaker with the wine. I turned off the lights and went inside. I closed and locked the window and put everything on the kitchen counter before striding to the bedroom for a night of tender love making.