Chapter 41

It was D day. Others may refer to it as Thanksgiving. But to me I was meeting his parents for the first time and I was super nervous. I smoothed down my dress for the millionth time. I've never met a guy's parents before, so this is nerve wracking. 

"I look fine right? Like this dress won't make your parents disapprove of me, right?" I asked. Mateo grabbed both my hands. 

"Breathe butterfly. They're going to love you. You look perfect. I have the food packed in the car. Let's go." Mateo told me in a soothing tone. I took a deep breath and released it. 

"Ok, I'm good. Let's go pick up Nic and William." I said. "That's my girl." Mateo said with a kiss to my lips.

After picking up our friends we arrived at his parent's home in Metairie. Mateo walked me up to the front door and opened it. 

"Is that my one and only hijo?" a woman's voice called from somewhere in the house. 

"Si madre. With my one and only love and friends." Mateo said.  An older man resembling Mateo approached us. 

"Come here hijo." The man said as he pulled Mateo into a bear hug. 

"Padre this is mi Corazon. Her name is Gabrielle. This is her sister Nicole. This is Nicole's fiancé William." Mateo told his father once released from the hug.  Mateo's father than wrapped me in a tight hug. 

"It's so nice to meet you Senor Martinez." I said once he released me. 

"Nonsense. You can call me Alejandro until you're comfortable calling me padre." Alejandro informed me with a smile. Alejandro then hugged both Nicole and William. Then a beautiful lady resembling Maria approached. 

"Oh hijo, she's beautiful. Welcome Gabrielle. My name is Isabella." Isabella told me smiling warmly as she hugged me.

After she greeted Nicole and William, she sent Mateo a stern look. 

"What are you waiting for hijo? Get the food out of the car before it goes bad. No dejes que el arduo trabajo de tu amor se desperdicie*." Isabella scolded her son. 

*Don't let your love's hard work go to waste.

 "Help him." Nicole told her fiancé. 

"Come to the kitchen with me ladies. We'll gossip while finishing what needs finishing." Isabella told us as we followed her. 

"Do you speak Spanish? I know a lot of Filipinos do since Spain conquered them and held the Philippines for a really long time." Isabella said. 

"Both my maw-maw and paw-paw's family have been in this country for a long time. So they don't even speak Tagalog anymore let alone Spanish. I chose to study French in school." I said feeling certain she'd hate me now. 

"Don't worry. My parents are the ones that immigrated here so I speak it, but my love only started learning it after we met. His family like yours have been here for a long time too. I find it sad to lose one's roots though." Isabella said. 

"I actually agree with you. The only Filipino dish my family knows how to make is dinuguan and even that has died out. None of my aunts learned to make it and my maw-maw is gone along with her siblings. I've found the recipe online, so I've been considering trying to make it. But I really don't know where one goes to buy pig blood for dinuguan." I said sadly. 

"I have my ways. I'll find out for you. Anything to help you keep your roots." Isabella told me warmly. "Thank you." I said with a smile.

"Ok, the potatoes should be cooled off from the oven. Can I get both of you to peel the skin off? You shouldn't need anything. Baking them makes the skin loose so you should be able to peel it off with your fingers." Isabella said. We both began peeling the potatoes while she started making bacon. Once that was done, she had Nicole mash the potatoes and me get the mac and cheese and sweet potato casserole.