Chapter 58

I could tell that Mateo was feeling the pressure and Maria told me that Lindsey was as well. We both felt they had that dead man walking look to them. So we conspired along with Nicole that a little get away was in order before carnival season really gets going. My grandparents owned this camp house on the water in the gulf area of Mississippi. My maw-maw sold it after my paw-paw passed. It was washed away by Katrina which made us all sad as we all held cherished memories in that place. After my maw-maw passed we decided to buy the land it once stood on in her honor and rebuild it. We built it exactly as it was one bedroom and one bath fitting beaucoups adults and kids and it never felt too small. We ladies decided this would be the perfect get away for a weekend. We'd only be an hour from home if we needed to get back in a hurry. That is how we all ended up in Mississippi.

We pulled up into the driveway of my beloved camp house and released the hounds. We stepped out of our cars and I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. 

"The smell of those pine trees always brings me fond memories." I said. 

"Come on! Lets get our stuff inside y'all. Then we'll run to the Winn-Dixie and make groceries. We can have a fire in the backyard and make s'mores!" I said getting excited. 

"Maybe dinner first?" Lindsey joked. 

"You mean s'mores can't be dinner?" Nicole asked. 

"I think it can." I said. 

"Agreed mi hermana." Maria said. 

"I think I'll side with Linsey and say real food first." Mateo said but I could see amusement in his eyes which made me happy. 

"Fine, so long as we have s'mores all weekend.

"Wow. How did y'all do this back then?" William asked looking around the small house. 

"We kids all slept on the floor. The adults slept on the couches. Grandparents got the bedroom. Sometimes the adults slept in the bathroom. I now know it's because they were passed out drunk hugging the toilet. As a kid I didn't realize that." I said with a laugh. After dropping our stuff off we went to the nearby Winn-Dixie to make groceries. 

"What do we need?" Mateo asked. 

"There's a waterway that runs behind our house into the gulf. It's good for catching catfish. So we need the breading for frying fish and seasoning. Mmmm. Lets get red potatoes and little corn on the cobs to boil in seafood boil to go with the fish. Sandwich makings and of course the s'mores ingredients." I said decisively. 

"What about for tonight?" Lindsey asked. 

"Fried chicken. Right there. Fried chicken for dinner. We'll get some potatoes and chop them into fries and fry em. Wham bam, thank you ma'am." Nicole said. 

"Agreed!" I said excitedly as I grabbed Winn-Dixie's fresh fried chicken. It's no Manchu's, Brother's, or Don's but it'll do. It's hard to go wrong with fried chicken.

When we got home, I washed potatoes while Maria chopped, and Mateo fried. 

"Team Colopino!" Maria said. 

"Filibian?" I said. Mateo just shook his head and laughed. 

"Both are terrible." Mateo said. 

"I don't think Mateo ships our families joining." I whispered to Maria. 

"I know. I never knew he secretly harbored such feelings against this ship." Maria whispered back. 

"Do you think we'll be breaking up after this mini trip?" I whispered.