Chapter 48

Killer's POV

After driving all night Jeff arrived at his new home in Nashville a little after ten AM. Jeff decided to strike while the iron was hot basically while the FBI was scrambling to find him. While they were looking the other way, he'd take out his Memphis girl. He planned to get some sleep first and then head straight to her. He slumped in his bed with a happy smile.

Gabby's POV

After spending the night at Mateo's place I woke up to my phone going crazy. I grabbed it and saw three missed calls and a bunch of texts from a new friend I'd made a month ago. I read the texts with bleary eyes and then I snapped wide awake.  

"MATEO." I said smacking him on his ass. 

 "What??!? Where's the fire?" Mateo called out sitting straight up. 

 "Why didn't you tell me that fuckface tried to take Leah out??" I asked. 

 "Wait, huh? How do you know?" Mateo asked. 

 "Well, I may have been curious about the other women. I clicked on throwaway account to see who else he commented on and found them through that. I wasn't going to approach any of them. But when I read Leah's entries it was like looking at my own nightmares. I could tell we went through similar things, so I reached out to her through private messages. We talked and ended up switching numbers. We've become quite close, so she was blowing my phone up today because apparently fuckface tried to kill her yesterday!" I said. 

 "I didn't say anything because as you said it was just yesterday so we haven't even received all the details as they were in the midst of a manhunt. Why didn't you tell me?" Mateo asked. 

 "I actually never even thought of it." I said with a shrug.

"Ok, well now that you've awoke me you have to make me breakfast. That's how this works." Mateo said. I thought about it and realized every time he woke up first, he was the one that provided food. 

 "Ok, I got you." I said as I leaned over and gave him a kiss. I headed downstairs to his kitchen with Shadow hot on my heals. 

 "Une pa pa?" I asked my pup. He looked at me with his ears raised and wagging his tail. 

 "I'll take that as a yes." I giggled as I opened the backdoor for him. I left it open so he could come back in when he was done as I took stock of what Mateo had in his kitchen. Which since he's always at my house wasn't much not too surprisingly. I sent him text letting him know that he has approximately nothing in his fridge and pantry.

"Not going to lie. I already knew that I just wanted to watch you figure it out. We can go to a diner a few blocks down St Charles for breakfast." Mateo said. Shadow came back in then and I locked the backdoor. 

 "Race you to the shower?" I said as I took off before he could reply. He caught up with me midway up the stairs. He picked me up and tossed me over his shoulder before continuing up at a normal pace now that he had me. 

 "Cheater." I said while poking him in his back. After a quickie in the shower and then getting clean we headed to breakfast.

Agent Martinez POV

We had just finished breakfast when my phone rang, and I saw that it was my Director. "Hey this is Agent Martinez, what's up?" I answered and could see Gabby raising her eyebrows in my peripheral. 

 "Agent report to the office immediately." The Director responded before immediately disconnecting. 

 "Shit." I cursed. 

 "What's going on?" Gabby asked. 

 "I don't know but I need you to get on my back now." I said as I bent down. She climbed up into the piggyback position then I took off running the few blocks back to my house. Once on my porch I let her down and we went into the house. I rushed up to change into my work clothes. I ran back down, kissed her on her lips, and rushed out without another word. I sped to work and parked in our garage. Then rushed to my Director's office where Agent Stein was just walking in.

"Agents. We don't think the Nightmare Killer is in St Louis anymore. The Agents there have searched every cranny of that city. Turned every stone. He was nowhere. However, when searching every roach motel they found where he was staying and the alias he was staying there under. We have the name. And what house it belongs to here in our city. We have the swat team meeting us there, so we need to leave. This house was on your list so later we'll find out how he wasn't found. Until then let's roll and hope we get him." The Director said and immediately exited her office at a fast pace with us on her heel.

We got into a van and began speeding towards an uptown property that was literally a block away from Gabby's home. I clenched my teeth in anger that he had been that close, that the property had been on the list, and the police fucked it up. We should have him already. I was boiling with rage. We pulled up and the SWAT team was already there. Their Captain approached our Director. 

 "We haven't seen any signs of movement. Could still be asleep. We're going to go ahead and bust the door down now. We got the warrant to search." The Captain said and my Director nodded in response. A SWAT team approached the front door with a battering ram and busted the door open. We rushed in calling out that the FBI was here. We rushed each room with weapons drawn considering he's already shot one FBI agent.

After searching each room we found him not there. We did find another note taunting us that we missed him. I wanted to punch the wall the note was sticking to because I was so fucking pissed. We walked back out with the SWAT team and the FBI's CSI team proceeded inside to secure the site and begin processing the scene. One of the police dog's on scene took off for the backyard and let out a howl.

 "That's the signal of human remains." The dog's handler said. My Director called for a coroner while I pulled my phone out. I sent Gabby a text to let her know I won't be back, and that I had no clue if I'd be back tonight. She replied that she understood, to be safe, and that she loves me.

Gabby's POV

I met with my Aunt's for lunch. 

 "How was the concert?" I asked as we sat down. 

 "It was great like they always are." Gwendolyn said. 

 "Where's Mateo?" Jeanie asked. 

 "He got called into work on an emergency." I said. 

 "Oh? What does he do?" Jeanie asked. 

 "He's an FBI Agent." I said. 

 "Oh hey. Something is happening near your home. Like only a block away. There was SWAT, FBI, coroner, and who knows who else there. Think that's the emergency he was called away on?" Gwendolyn asked. 

 "Near my place? Huh. Maybe. He told me he'd be gone the rest of the day and doesn't know when he'll be home." I said with a shrug. I was worried for him with them saying SWAT was there because that means action. Also, the coroner! I took a deep breath before I went into a panic. My hands were itching to text or call him, but I knew better so I clenched my hands to keep me from doing that.

After lunch I stopped at a corner store to get something for dinner and breakfast on Sunday. Once I got home, I let my girls know I'm not going out tonight. Maria being the other half of Lindsey already understood and also didn't want to go out. I caught up with Leah for a bit and helped calm her down. I crashed not long after dinner and didn't awake again until four in the morning which is when Mateo finally got home. He showered and then got into bed and pulled me into him. I fell back asleep held tightly in his arms.

A/N:  Kind of losing my motivation for this story since it seems to be dead in the water with the lack of traffic.  Makes me sad because this story is my baby.  So I'll finish it but updates are probably going to be really slow due to loss of motivation.  Plus, I'm returning to work this Monday.  This story is at 70K words so I just have 20K more to go.  But that doesn't motivate me either.