f o r t y

"what? your boyfriend?" mrs. do asked shocked, glancing at jooheon's room, whose door was closed. 

"boyfriend!?" she asked again raising her voice. boki sighed. 

"you never mentioned a boyfriend!" she added, crossing her arms on her chest. she knew her mother was right, but her relationship with kihyun was so recent that she wanted to give it a few more months before telling her mom.

"i know. i am sorry... i guess i was just waiting for a few months.- she swallowed hard - but there's no use of crying over spilled milk... he wants to come here."mrs. do seemed to be thrown out of her comfort zone.

"so who's this boyfriend of yours?" boki's nerves grew as she didn't know how to tell her mom it was kihyun. she wondered if she'd remember him, from before, but it was in school, a long time ago. so she wouldn't judge if she didn't remember.

"yoo kihyun, remember him?" mrs. do's eyes widened. 

"are you telling me your boyfriend isn't jooheonie?" it was now boki's time to be shocked, she took her hands to her mouth to cover her shock. 

"what!? jooheon!?" she whisper-yelled.

"hush. i don't want him to hear - mrs. do said glancing with cautious eyes to his room - so you're telling me you're bringing a boyfriend home? a boyfriend who's not jooheonie?" she frowned at her mother's sudden outburst. 

"what? why would it be jooheon mom?" her mother sighed and shrugged as if it was obvious. 

"isn't it obvious? he's in love with you! and i approve him! why would you destroy such beautiful love-

"what are you talking about!?" boki couldn't believe her own ears, but her mother kept glancing nervously at jooheon's room. she quickly grabbed boki by her shoulder and dragged her outside of the living room, towards the garage. 

"what are you doing?"

"why don't you give him a chance?"

"mom i have a boyfriend. it's kihyun."

"no but listen... jooheonie is hardworking, he's sweet and caring. i like him for you."

"but you haven't met kihyun yet-

"i don't care... i like jooheon." she said with authority now. looking up at boki. she rolled her eyes.

"why are you bringing this up right now? has he ever told you anything? i mean... why do you think he likes me?"her mother checked her own nails as she tried to look confident and relaxed. 

"there's no need. a woman has a sixth sense for that. i know things." 

"you can't assume he likes me based on your woman-guts mom." 

"okay let's make a bet that he likes you-

"mom i am not making any bets with you. i'll tell kihyun to come this weekend and that's final. please respect it." boki's voice was serious now. her mother blinked twice as she took a step back, eyeing her from head to toe.

"i won't like him."

"you don't even know him yet." but deep inside, boki knew, there were big chances her mother wouldn't like him. for an instance, kihyun was a city boy. he was refined and elegant. her mother was a country girl, she liked people who were easy going and humble. jooheon obviously fit more in her ideal guy for boki, but boki didn't care about any of those stuff. she felt connected with kihyun in levels she couldnt' explain to her mother, nor to herself.