Chapter 4 - Revenge

THE brightness from the overhead ceiling light seemed to blind you as it burned through your eyelids. The burning pain caused you to open up your eyes. But as you did, the light shined right in your eyes. You groaned as you rolled over onto your right side to try and shield your eyes from the light.

But as you did, you got a sharp shooting pain from the back of your head. Hissing from the pain, you gritted your teeth as you reached back to touch the back of your head. Your hand was met with a bandage that had been placed right where the pain came from. You hand traced the bandage as it wrapped around to the front of your head.

What the hell is this? What happened? You asked yourself.

Then you looked over and saw the school nurse talking to your parents. They were standing in front of her, just a short distance from you, as they talked. Your mom and dad were standing there, dressed in their work suits. Your dad had on one of his blue button-up shirts, gray slacks, gray jacket, and his favorite tie that had green and blue stripes that alternated the entire length. And it was finished off with his black polished leather dress shoes. Your mom was wearing a blue silk blouse, black skirt that came just above the knee, and her black heels. She had her black suit coat draped over her arm as they talked. They must have came straight from work.

"...so it seems like a mild concussion from falling off of the chair." The nurse was telling your parents.

"I still don't understand how this happened?" Your dad asked with concern. "Our daughter doesn't just 'fall' off of her chair?"

"We're still trying to find out exactly what happened from some of the other students that were in that area at the time." The nurse told your dad.

"I can ensure you sir, that we will do our best to get to the bottom of this." She tried to reassure him.

"Yeah I bet you will." Your dad said angrily.

You could tell that he didn't believe that one bit.

"Enough honey." Your mom said as she tried to calm him down, to which he turned away as he rubbed the back of his head with his hand.

Great. Now my parents are involved. You thought to yourself as a feeling of dread started to take over.

This day just keeps getting better doesn't. You thought sarcastically.

Will the torment never end? You thought as you sat there for a few minutes.

Perhaps if I get back to class, I can play it off as if it was just a bump. You thought to yourself. Then the teasing won't be AS brutal.

"I'm fine dad." You said as you sat up and gritted your teeth as the pain shot through your head again.

"Oh god, honey." Your mom said as she rushed over to you and put her hands on your face to lift it up and get a better look at you. "Are you okay? Are you in pain?"

You gave your mom a weak smile.

"I'll be alright mom." You tried to reassure her.

"I just need to get to class is all." You stated as you placed your hands on hers and gently removed them from your face.

"Ooooooh no your not. We're leaving here and taking you straight to the hospital." She told you in a determined voice.

You knew that voice all to well. That meant she would have her way no matter what you said.

"But mom?" You tried to protest anyway. "It's the first day? I still haven't even been to all of my classes yet?"

"You have all year to get to your classes." She insisted as she grabbed your hand to help you get up. "We're going to the hospital to have you checked out."