Chapter 29 - Threats

Both you and Ignis worked in silence as you washed up and put away the dishes from dinner. You liked having his company in the kitchen. I reminded you of the time you use to spend with your brother in the kitchen while he would clean up after making one of his famous dishes. Those days would forever be some of your favorite memories.

"Ignis, (Y/n)?"  You heard Cor say from kitchen the door.  You both turned around and looked at him.  "There's been a change in plans.  We're heading back to the city tonight."

"But why?"  You asked as you dried off the last dish.

"I'll explain later."  Cor said as if in a hurry.  

"Pack up all of the food.  We're leaving as soon as our backup arrives."  He said then disappeared just as quickly as he had appeared.

You turned around and looked at Ignis with your jaw dropped.  Ignis glanced from the door to you, as you gave him shocked look.  But he didn't smile, he didn't panic, in fact he showed no emotion at all.  It was as if someone had wiped the slate clean.

"Let's do as he says."  Ignis said.  

Then he turned around and grabbed the basket that Monica had brought with her and started to load it up.  You stood there in shock for a few minutes as you tried to figure out what could have possible happened that you had to leave now.

"Hand me the fruit from over there would you?"  Ignis asked as he put the rest of the vegetables in the basket on top of the leftover dinner.

"Yeah."  You said absently.  

Then without really thinking you reached over and grabbed the fruit and handed it to Ignis.  Ignis then closed the packed basket and picked it up off the counter.  

"Come on."  He said as he started for the door.  "Let's go see if the others need help."

You stood there as if your feet were stuck to the floor.  Ignis turned around and saw you standing there.  He turned around and grabbed your hand.

"Come on  (y/n).  Snap out of it."  Ignis said in a stern voice.

"I don't understand?  Why do we have to leave?"  You asked as you stood fast.

"I'm sure that he'll tell us as we're heading back to Insomnia."  Ignis said as he held your hand firmly.  "But for now let's do as he says and get everything packed up."

You nervously nodded but you did as Ignis asked.  You both headed out of the kitchen and saw everyone taking stuff out to the cars and packing it into the trucks.  You went to help Monica grab the rest of the bags and personal belongings from the bedrooms. Meanwhile the guys grabbed some of the weapons from the shed.  When everything was packed in the cars, Cor walked up and handed each of you a weapon.

"Use these only if you have to."  He said as he handed Gladio a real Great Sword and Noctis his Engine blade.  

"You are only getting these just in case something happens on the way back."  Cor continued as he handed Ignis a pair of metal daggers.  

"The last thing we want is to be caught off guard."  Cor finished as he handed you a real compound bow, a full quiver, and a set of gloves.

You heart leap out of your chest as you stared at the bow. 

What the hell happened that we have to be armed?   You thought as you looked at the bow then back at Cor.

"Now that you have, what will be your primary weapon, we are going to have you link up with it."  Cor stated as he pulled something out of his coat pocket.