Chapter 5 - Old Friends Unite

YOU weren't sure what was worse. The fact that you had a major throbbing headache or the knowledge that you had been at the hospital for about four hours already. And from the moment that you had arrived, they had you going through several tests to determine the severity of your concussion. But then after waiting for what seemed like forever, the final decision was made that you would only have to stay overnight at the hospital for observation.

This was more of a push from your parents then from the doctors though. For all you wanted to do was sleep in your own bed as you waited for your head to stop pounding. But after the doctors has discovered a small fracture in your skull from where you hit the concrete. Your parents had decided that they didn't want to take any chances at home and had pushed to have you stay overnight.

This left you by yourself for a while since your parents had stepped out to get your overnight items and a bite to eat. You had already eaten, if you want to call hospital food, actual food that is. And that was how you found yourself laying down on the hospital bed with only the bedside light and the light on the other side of the room on. The low lighting was so that the bright overhead lights wouldn't stimulate your eyes any more than necessary. And at the moment, you were only wearing a hospital gown while you waited for your parents to return with your pajamas. Your uniform clothes were folded up neatly on the chair by the window with your backpack leaning against the wall by the chair.

This has officially been one of the worst days of my life. You thought to yourself as you further curled up in a ball under the covers.

Looks like I'll be an outcast for the next four years. I'll never be able to show my face in school again.  Not after what happened today. You thought as you lowered your gaze to stare at the cold tiled floor of your hospital room.

So much for a new start at a new school. It looks like I'm just destined to be a loner. You thought as tears started to rise up in your eyes again.

But right then your thoughts were interrupted by a soft knock on the door.

What now? You thought as you cringed with uncertainty to the next impeded blow from the dark cloud that seemed to be following you.

"(y/n)?" Came a smooth familiar voice from the door.

Your eyes opened up wide in disbelief and your head started spinning.

Is that who I think that is? You thought as your heart started to race.

No, it can't be. You thought as you very slightly shook your head and closed your eyes again. I must have cracked my head harder than I thought. Now I'm hearing things.

"(y/n)? Are you awake?" The voice came again and this time the door slightly opened up. "It's me, Noctis. Can I come in?"

"That's not funny, Gwendolyn. " You said firmly.

"Haven't you done enough already?" You said loudly before groaning and gritting your teeth as your head started throbbing more.

You pulled the covers over your head in an attempt to shut out the pain.  Noctis paused as he felt his heart drop at the tone of your voice.  He hadn't exactly expected a friendly welcome.  But he had hoped to avoid a fight either way.

Well ,she's awake at least. He thought to himself as he tried to steady himself. Well, I've come this far. I have to go in. I have to see her. I need to know if she's okay.

After a slight pause at the door, and a few deep breaths, he opened the door the rest of the way and entered the room.

"That's not very nice of you to say." He said in his usual tone as he slowly entered the room. "You might give the impression that you're angry with someone."