Welcome party

"Jungkook, baby, there's no way you can skip that party."

Just when the words come out of my mom's mouth, my heart stops beating for a moment. I feel like the entire world is about to crash down all over my head.

How am I going to survive in a closed space where Jin may be at as well, and even to add more salt to my wound, Taehyung will attend my welcome party.

That means I'll get the fucking chance to officially see them together and maybe congractulate! If I knew sooner about the whole thing, I would never come back to Busan.

"Mom, who planned it? Please, I don't want to. I just came back here and I'm beat as hell." I groan like a kid and try to make the best tired face to convince her, but she just shakes her head with a grin.

"It was Hoseok's idea. And don't make that face to me. It's not fooling your mom, Jk! I brought you here to my house in order to save you from your dad's relatives.

You know they'll attack the house once they find out you're back. Take your rest here to the fullest. You'll have a long journey there!"

Mom smiles at me warmly, but I can't bring myself to respond to her with the same passion. Nothing seems like old times, not Busan, not her shining face, and most importantly me.

"But I'm tired!" I repeat my previous words, whispering in a miserable voice and hanging my head low.

"Jungkook, you're being selfish. You know that yourself. All your friends haven't seen you for a long time, three years to be exact, and you shut your phone and anything else to them.

They deserve a quality time with you, son. Don't wanna hear from them you were sour in the party!" This time, mom is the one who starts nagging.

I stay silent, listening to all she says carefully. It's like I've been waiting for someone to hit these known facts at my face. I need someone to blame me to the extent my ears feel numb like my heart after hearing my mistakes.

"They all miss you so much, baby. I wish you were here to see how Jin even reached here for me to ask about your well-being. The poor creature was really worried about you."

I shut my eyes tightly when his name is mentioned. I have a hard time pressing my lips together to avoid any voice like a whimper slip out through them.

I stand up from the sofa I was sitting on faster than a jet. My eyes start to prickle and threaten to tear up in front of my mom at any second. I can't take that risk. I can't let her know about the picture and the afterwards happening that night.

"He wanted to come with your father and I to Seoul for your graduation ceremony badly, Jungkook, even though at the time he was busy with his own exams. He said he'd manage to set up things to make it."

I'm on my way to my room in mom's house, but the words has me motionless in a blinking of an eye.

"W-why he didn't come then?" I mumble under my breath in a throaty tone, turning my face back to mom. I tried hard to be stable, but I stutter even from the beginning.

"Because something urgent came up to his father; he had to stay with him in the hospital. I'm waiting for his text to inform me about the latest news. Let's pray it's not something serious."

I notice how mom gets a worried expression and I feel restless all of a sudden, too. I shouldn't feel that way; I shouldn't care about what happens to Jin or his family, but I can't help it.

"I hope he can at least attend your welcome party, even though I'm somehow positive he can't." She utters while rising on her seat, using the arms of the couch for help.

"He won't really be there?!"

I almost throw myself at mom when she tries to leave for the kitchen. I need to know the answer desparately. She stares at me for some time in a weird way, but then she replies to my question, still holding that squinted face.

"The possibilty is low unfortunately considering his situation."

I don't know if I should sigh in relief or hit my head at a wall. All I know is that it makes me shallower than what I already feel.

Without letting out another single word, I head to my room lazily, leaving my mom more stupefied. The first thing I do reaching there is to lie down on the bed, staring at the ceiling. Before I can dwell on my thoughts completely, my mom surprises me with showing up at my door again.

"Why aren't you choosing your shirt or styling your hair?!" She asks me, joking around as she crosses her arms over her chest and looks at me in a challanging way. I sigh wearily and close my eyes.

"I'm tired, mom." I don't know for how many times I said that sentence for the day, but I'm really wasted. I'm wasted without lifting a finger. I'm wasted within my head.

"Ok, baby. Take a rest for an hour. You still have time for the party. Why don't you change into something more comfortable?" Mom's tone softens, and she comes inside the room.

I just shake my head instead of using my voice. I feel her presence next to the bed covering me with the thin blanket. She sinks her hand into my hair in a soothing manner.

"You will go to the party, right Jungkook?" She inquires, uncertain after retreating her hand from my strands.

I don't have anything to say to her as I'm more confused than her. That seems to concern my mom as she speaks up again but in a calmer voice.

"I heard Hoseok's family has hired a big place for your party. It'll break the sunshine's heart if you don't go, you know?" She speaks, and I open my eyes immediately nodding. Breaking Hoseok's heart, that's the last thing I intend to do!

"My sweet bunny! Now sleep. I'll wake you up later." She coos at me, kissing my nose. Finally, I'm blessed with a glimpse of home and that boosts me up in an instant without me even realizing it.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

In a fair game, "He isn't the nerd for me" won "Alpha" for the first time. 😊

I hope you can see how Jungkook is about to fall into the stages of depression and also see how just one close person could change a whole mood for him.