Am I Okay?

A month passes, it was all a bit of a blur to you. The days seemed to blend together, you had told Hiccup you were okay but he wasn't convinced. You were starting to shut down, not talking as much, staying in the spare room every night, skipping meals, spending a lot more time out flying as long as the weather would let you, snow season was a pain.
Hiccup was worried about you but he figured you just needed the alone time. Whenever he saw you he'd check multiple times if you were feeling okay, you'd always respond yes but in reality, you didn't really know.
The time to yourself gave you a lot of time to think about things, knowing you'd never see your parents again was getting you down. For years you felt isolated from them but when you finally re connect with them they're taken away forever, it made you mad. Part of you felt like it was selfish to leave in the first place, and when you returned you chose Hiccup over them, leaving again. You knelt down onto the snow covered grass, gripping it and tugging harshly, gritting your teeth.
The wind picked up more making you shiver, you decided to head back from the forest but unsure know where to go, you didn't want to mope around at the house or weigh your negative energy off onto anyone else, you decided to hide out at Gobber's shop. Luckily most people were at the great hall as it was dinner time.

You walk to the back of the shop perching yourself down onto the floor, a coo alerts you, Toothless walks over, nuzzling against you before sitting beside you "hey bud." You whisper, he gummy grins and licks your hand, you sigh softly as he lays his head on your lap looking up at you with concerned eyes "I'm alright." You reassure him.
Not long after, Gobber walks in "ay, lass. You didn't join us." You shake your head "not hungry." His face scrunches into a frown "you need to eat. Even if it's something small. It's not good for you." He says worryingly "I know, but I'm eating fruit, I feel fine." Gobber gives you an unconvinced look but nods and leaves. A few minutes later you look at the door and see a familiar one legged figure walking towards you "there you are Toothless, you soppy thing." He chuckles, Toothless snorts at him "can I sit?" Hiccup then asks, you nod.

"I brought you some food. I know you are eating Fruit buuuut." He moves his hands from behind his back showing you the plate "That's boring! So I got you your favourite, chicken...tadaaahhh!" You couldn't hold back the small giggle that crept up your throat, he was such a dork.
He puts the plate down "(y/n)?" He whispers, you gaze into his eyes. "I love you."
You suddenly feel your chest tighten, the same lump in your throat quickly forming, your eyes stinging as the salty tears surfaced "Hiccup..I." You couldn't finish the sentence, the burning feeling in your throat prevented you from talking, Toothless lifts his head off your lap, allowing Hiccup to shuffle closer and pull you onto his lap "shh, it's okay, I'm not going anywhere, ever. I promise."
"I...l-love you too." You finally manage to squeak out, why was it so hard to say all of a sudden? You'd said it to each other many times before.
He hums in response. You tuck your head into the crook of his neck. For the first time since your parents death as you close your eyes, a few tears finally fall. Some of the emotion you had been holding in for the last month was out, making you feel that tiny bit better.

"The village is having a gathering, y'know...evening drinks and chatting, do you want to come with me?" He asks softly you shake your head "but it might help, take your mind off things, I miss you. We all do." You lift your head up and sigh "m'sorry for being so distant."
"You have no reason to apologise, I understand. Although I will confess, I've been extra cold at night without you." He chuckles, you roll your eyes and smile "It's been rather peaceful for me, not having you snoring in my ear."
"Wha- I do not snore!"
"Denial, you definitely do. Your mum can back me up. Toothless too." You look down at the dragon who makes a noise of agreement "you're no angel either, Bud." Hiccup sneers.
"You must get if from your dad." You stick your tongue out, he pouts "it's tolerable though...for now." You giggle, he furrows his brows "you're mean."
"Ehhh, i'd say I'm more honest."
He stands up, holding his hand out you take it and he pulls you up, smiling softly "well m'lady, shall we?"
He intertwines his and your fingers together and you walk to the great hall.
After a while you had drifted away from Hiccup finding Astrid and Fishlegs, Hiccup was gazing at the drinks options, unsure on what to have "ahhhhh I can hear wedding bells!" A voice rings in his ears making him jump "jeez Gobber, you scared me!"
"Ello Chief Hiccup, how are you this fine evening?" He asks, wrapping an arm around Hiccups shoulder, almost knocking him to the ground "I'm fine, you seem to be having a good time." Hiccup laughs, shoving him away "I'm doing swell! Say, where's your pretty wife?" He looks around the room "Gobber, you know we aren't married." Hiccup replies with an eye roll "not yet."
"Gobber..."
"Ay, I'm just sayin! Don't ya think it's time?"
"At this precise moment, no. She's not in a good place right now."
Gobber takes a long swig of his beverage "when will it be a good time? We never know. Look laddie, you love her and she loves you. Just do it!"
Hiccup sighs loudly "it's not that easy, Gobber."
"Don't you wanna marry her?"
"Of course! You know I do." A laugh next to him makes him turn round, Valka shakes her head "Gobber, you really are straight to the point aren't you?" He shrugs and walks off "well that was intimidating." Hiccup mumbles "he means well." Valka replies, still smiling. Hiccup huffs and grabs the nearest drink, taking a sip, immediately pulling a face of disgust "oh god, no!"
"Astrid brought some of her 'famous' yaknog." Valka laughs, Hiccup wipes his mouth with his sleeve "I swear it's worse than last time." He shudders, pushing the drink away "but seriously, when are you and (y/n) going to give me some grandchildren?"
"Mum!" Hiccup groans, lightly shoving her arm "sorry, sorry."
Hiccup and Valka sit down at a table "I do want to marry her, but if it's brought up in conversation she kind of shy's away from it." he explains "It is a serious commitment, son. Dedicating your love and life to one person forever."
"I'm not that bad, am I?" He questions, she laughs again "of course not! We all know you two are meant to be. But sometimes perfect things take that little bit of extra time to make." Hiccup nods "you will know when you are both ready, you might be able to see it, but maybe she needs you to show her."

You step out into the cold winter air, starring at the dimly lit village in front of you, almost immediately a warm body presses against your back, arms wrapping round your waist "hey." You whisper, Hiccup hums in response, resting his chin on your shoulder "bit cold out here, eh?"
"Too stuffy in there, needed air." You reply, leaning your head back slightly, sighing contently as your body relaxes against his "I recommend staying away from Gobber for the rest of the night, he's had a bit too much." Hiccup chuckles, you nod "I noticed."
You both stand in silence for a few minutes the faint music from the hall flowing through the cold peaceful air, it was nice.
"Hey, (y/n)?"
"Mmm?"
"You're cute." Your face flushes pink at his words "why thank you, you aren't so bad yourself." You tease, turning to face him, your hands resting on his collarbones, he smiles warmly leaning forward, nuzzling the tip of his nose against yours "you're so cringey!" You giggle, he pulls back, still smiling "but you love it."
"That is true."
You lean forward this time, kissing him softly, his hand trails up to your cheek and cups it, his thumb gently stroking your skin. After a few seconds you pull away, gazing into his eyes "I've been thinking about something." You say quietly "what's that?" He asks "it's about us."
You feel his body quickly tense at your words "it's not bad, relax." You roll your eyes, he clears his throat awkwardly "sorry...continue."

"I know you've talked about marriage and I've always been...like funny about it." He nods "the truth is...it scares me. I don't know why, I know you're the Viking of my life. But the word commit itself kinda freaks me out." You explain "it's silly I know but I've always been scared of marriage."
"It's not silly." He replies "it's a big step, and one that both partners need to be fully ready for, and if you don't feel like you're ready, that's okay. I'll wait for you. I'll always be here. Sorry but you're stuck with me. Run away all you want, I will find you." He pokes your nose with his.
"Now that is a scary thought." You say, poking his cheek, He fake gasps "makes you seem like an obsessed stalker."
"You do have a point there." He chuckles, holding you in a tight hug.
"I think I've decided if I'm ready." You then say "oh yeah?"
"Yeah. But I'll let you try and figure it out." He raises an eyebrow, you smile innocently, kissing his cheek before walking back inside.

Early the next morning you sit up in the bed and stretch, another restless night but you were awake now, no chance of going back to sleep, sighing you get up, change your clothes and head downstairs and out the door to find Mystique. You open the stable door and to your surprise you see two pairs of eyes instead of one "oh, hey Toothless! Hiccup not up yet?" You coo, scratching under his chin "well, I can imagine you want to go fly, here." You open the door more, Toothless quickly runs out and into the house, you follow, listening with amusement.
Thud. "Toothless? How did you get up here?" Thud. "Ughhh get off! It's too early." Smack. "ahhhh alright alright I'm up!"
"Hiccup, what on earth are you doing?"
"Hey Mum, little help please!"
You laugh to yourself and go back to the stables, as you finish putting Mystique's saddle on, Toothless comes running back in, you peer over your shoulder to see Hiccup yawning and rubbing his eyes "morning!" You chirp, he pauses mid rub, lifting his finger and pointing at you "you! You sent him up."
"Maybe, maybe not." You turn back, patting Mystiques side "this is early for you." He states while trying to keep a bouncing Toothless off him "eh, didn't sleep good. Figured I may as well make the most of the empty skies."
"How come-ahhhh!" Toothless lifts onto his hind legs, and flops down onto Hiccup "you alright there?" You smirk, Hiccup tries to answer but due to a heavy reptile crushing him. That wasn't possible.
"He's in a funny mood." Hiccup manages to wheeze, gasping heavily when Toothless finally gets up "alright you nutcase, lets go." He sighs, Toothless bounces up and down, spinning round, Mystique rolls her bright yellow eyes at him, then gently nudges you and purrs.

This was going to be a fun fly.