Chapter 48: School Preparations

Soon enough, July turned into August. With the months changing, and summer getting shorter, this also meant something else. School preparations. It was an early morning in mid August, and both Scorpius and Rose woke up to owls flying in their kitchen windows.

"It looks like you got mail Rosie." Hermione said when her daughter came down the stairs, and an owl flew into the window, with a familiar cream colored envelope with green ink and cursive handwriting on it.

With her mum's comment, Rose walked over to the owl, and took the envelope from him. When she did this, she ruffled his feathers, before the owl took out off the window again.

"This is a little heavier than usual." Rose said. When she picked up the envelope, it was heavy. Then, she shook it, and it made a rumbling sound. She knew her Prefect badge was probably in there, but what else? Also, when Hermione heard Rose shake the envelope, she let out a smile and tiny squeal.

"What?" Rose asked at her mother's squeal. Why was she excited?

"Oh, nothing. RONALD! Come here!" Hermione said, still smiling. She then called Ron into the room.

"Yes?" Ron asked when he walked into the room after hearing Hermione call him. Rose was still confused. It was just her annual school letter, why was it that big of a deal? But, wait. This would be her last Hogwarts letter of her life. She was going into her 7th and last year. Maybe that's why she was excited?

"Okay Rosie, you can open it now." Hermione said excitedly. Hermione had a general idea on why the envelope was heavier and loud when Rose shook it.

Then, Rose ripped open the envelope. When she did this, out feel two little pins, and a few folded pieces of parchment. But, what caught Rose's attention first was the two pins. She picked them off the table, and took them into her hands. To her surprise, neither of them were a Prefect badge. One had the letters HG on it, and the other had QC. Rose's face lit up when she realized what they stood for.

"I'm Head Girl and Quidditch Captain!" Rose said very excitedly, getting up from her sitting position, and jumping up and down.

"Rosie, that's amazing!" Hermione said to Rose. Hermione already guessed that's what was inside the envelope, but she was still super happy for Rose.

"Wow. Nice job Rosie! You don't know how proud of you we are!" Ron said, as he gave Rose a hug. Ron was extremely proud of his daughter. He was happy that she was ambitious as Hermione was. It was a great honor to be a head, and, to be Quidditch Captain on top of it! That was amazing. Ron was just amazed. He had never finished his 7th year or N.E.W.T's. He was glad that his daughter had all of this going for her. She was truly an amazing witch.

Then, before going off to write to Scorpius to explain the good news, she read the pieces of parchment from Headmistress McGonagall. One was all of her required books for the school year, and different N.E.W.T prep materials. Rose would go pick that stuff up after one of her shifts at WWW. She was about half way saved up for her Firebolt 2. She wasn't going to hit her target goal, but, she still wanted to try. Anyways, she read the other piece of parchment also. It explained why she was picked to be Quidditch Captain and Head Girl for Gryffindor, and different responsibilities she would have to fulfill for those tasks this year.

Rose then collected her little badges and pieces of parchment, and went up to her room to get ready for the day. After that, she was going to write to Scorpius and explain everything.

***

Scorpius's morning was similar to Rose's. When he spilled out of bed, he walked downstairs to find an owl in the kitchen. Scorpius immediately walked over and grabbed the envelope from the Tawny, after recognizing McGonagall's green ink, and saw that it was addressed to him.