Chapter thirty five - Embarressment

"Addy!" James waved over to me from the meeting room, I collected myself and walked over, I was still a bit weak in the knees from this morning but I am a professional at a professional setting!

"Do you like the designs? Lyn has worked really hard these past months." Lyn blushed at my words of praise, embarrassed in front of James.

"I've already thanked the whole team, I can especially see where you've inputted ideas, to be honest I never knew that you could draw!" He boasted to the whole room making me feel awkward. "It's fine you didn't really know a lot about me six years ago." I uttered hoping someone would change the subject.

"Then should I get to know you better? How about dinner?" He quickly replied, the whole room was silent and I grabbed his arm to usher him out of the room.

"What are you doing?" I quietly asked him in a corner of a corridor, "what do you mean?" He beamed his innocent smile at me. "I mean I told you I am married and you know who it is so why are you doing this?" I asked him, getting more and more frustrated at this point.

James started intensely at me, his emotions changing from playful to more serious, "that night at my concert after you two left Kelton and Lyn accidentally told me about your memory loss, you must've hid it from me because you still care about my opinion right?"

I looked to the ground, it's not that I didn't want him to know because I didn't want him to pity me, to be honest I didn't tell him because I didn't want him involved in my life anymore.

"James, do you not remember what you did to me six years ago? For you it might've been so long ago but for me it's still fresh in my mind. Even if you're more mature now I'm not, I didn't tell you because I didn't want the guy that cheated on me with my best friend in my life anymore." I huffed feeling bad looking at his apologetic expression.

"I can never tell you how sorry I am because of what I did to you that night, I did a stupid thing and I can never make it up to you. But are you okay with staying with a stranger? He's ten years older than you basically, are you sure he's not just making you be in a relationship with him?" He asked me desperately awaiting my answer.

I took a deep breath in to calm myself and replied once I exhaled, "he's not ten years older than me, he's four. He's not a stranger, he's my husband. And besides I'm Addison Robinson, would I be with someone just because they tell me that I should be?" James nodded.

"I understand that Addy, but you're still just a teenager acting like an adult. No matter how hard you try the only way to be an adult is to experience adulthood, you can't play adults like you could trust fund teens. Look I won't get more involved if you don't want me to, just be cautious around that man, you don't know what you're saying yes to." I huffed, angry at what James said about Ezra, but if I retaliate I'll be validating his point.

"Fine I'll be cautious like you want me to, but can you stop interfering with my life now unless I ask you to. I don't like looking at you even if you have changed since then." James smiles and nodded, "it feels weird being more mature than Addison Robinson, I used to think that you were an adult back then, but you're really just a kid that protects herself with made up maturity."

I batted away his just that was patting my head "whatever, now I have to clean up the scene you made in the meeting, you can go now if you're done here." I huffed, hoping that this day would end already.

I scurried back to the office to explain everything, I think that James' manager had already tried this as he was aware of James' behaviour and how he 'likes to pull pranks'. I feel sorry for James' manager, the only person that should put up with that is Dave.

I practically collapsed on my chair at my desk from having to squash the rumours going around.

"Ahem..." Ezra faked a cough to get my attention, "what do you need? Coffee?" I sluggishly answered. "No it's about some rumours I've been hearing flying around the office, for someone that rants about PDA in the workplace you sure like to flaunt the rules." He replied in a monotone voice.

I turned my head on my desk to see him cross armed standing at his door, "that's a nice tie clip, is it charvet?" I smiled at him, Ezra sighed and crouched down to me.

"What happened to staying away from James? He likes you and as your husband I don't really condone you liking another man after you've confessed to me." He smirked, I huffed once more, "I told him to go away but he insists that you're bad news."

Ezra smiled a bit "that a lot coming from someone that cheated on you, I've been holding back the will to punch him as we had a business contract, but now that the project is finished I see no problem with going to the paddling lot now." I chuckled and held onto his blazer.

"Don't go I have a bunch of projects people want you to look at." I arose from my haunched position and brought the paperwork into his office.

I came back with some coffee for Ezra as he was still looking over some of the projects an hour later, "what do you think then?" He asked me just before I walked out of the door.

"What do you mean?" I turned to face him, "about James telling you that I'm bad news?" I rolled my eyes, "why do you care what I think about my jealous ex-boyfriend's 'words of advice'?" I smiled thinking that Ezra was just plying with me.

"Because you haven't said no." He spoke firmly, taking his eyes off of reading proposals to look at me. I nervously laughed to diffuse the tension in the brief silence.

"Because I didn't think that I have to, of course you're not bad news, you're my husband, what would you gain from playing with me." I giggled at the thought of it.

This finally broke Ezra's cold exterior as he smiled before getting back to his work, "you don't know what I'd do because you're my wife, you're my only family in this world so I can do anything to protect you even if you may think that it's immoral." I smiled off my bad thoughts.

"Yes I would protect you too, now get back to work and stop thinking about this." I kept smiling until I left my office and then the one thing I didn't want to Helen began to race around my mind.

Could James be right?