Chapter 12 - KAT

It had now been 2 months since I started working as a private surgeon for the Italian mafia. I never saw myself as pretty, or deserving of any attention, but I found it funny how when I was on duty and the various guards stumbled in with 'headaches' or 'tummy pain'. Pascal jokes and tells me it's just because they want to see me, which I don't believe for a second, but it always riles Enzo up, as though he is jealous or something. My office is on the bottom floor, and I have a beautiful view of the surrounding area, as it is just in front of the pool, which has the glass fence to be able to easily see the view.

Over the last few months, I became more relaxed around the house, and developed good friendships with many of the men and guards that lingered around. I was allowed out a couple of times a week, I would go on walks through the forest, and sometimes go and see Patrick and Maria, the couple who helped me when I ran away, for a cup of tea. Every single time though, I had been escorted by a guard.

I was going back into the forest today; I couldn't wait to explore it further. When I reached the gates, the guard said I had permission to go out on my own, but to take the phone he handed to me, just in case. After doing a hop, skip and a jump, I continued skipping over to the forest. I was hoping to find the waterfall today, and sure enough, I did. I walked into the grassy clearing and took in my surroundings.

The Sun hit the water as it flowed down the waterfall, settled in the pool of water and continued flowing down the lake. It looked like a million sapphires, a gorgeous clear colour, but with a tinge of blue reflecting in it from the cloudless blue sky. The grass was healthy, and a gorgeous green colour, and so soft. I took off my shoes and just felt the grass between my feet, caressing them. I took off my floral, flowy dress and went for a swim. I was just in my underwear, but it would dry easily when I lay in the Sun for a bit. The water was icy cold, but so very refreshing. I dipped my head under the water, fully submerging myself. After my swim, I lay on the grass beside the water, and with the sound of the waterfall, crashing over the rocks and into the water below, I drifted asleep.

When I woke up, the sun was just setting. Shit. How long was I asleep for? I looked at my phone, but it was dead, probably because I left it out in the Sun. I quickly slipped my dress and shoes back on and ran back to the house. I hope they weren't worried, but I knew they would be. As soon as I came into sight of the guards in the compound, they shouted my name out, and other Italian words, and the gates opened. Enzo appeared, relief on his face, and ran towards me, lifting me up in a huge bear hug, then composed himself, and said flatly "where were you?"

"I fell asleep by the waterfall, and lost track of time."

"Why did you turn your phone off though?"

"I didn't, it ran out of battery, probably because I left it in the Sun," and I handed him the phone, in case he wanted proof.

"Are you okay? Hurt?"

"I'm fine Enzo," I reassured him, "were you worried that I had run away again?"

"I know if you wanted to leave you would. I was worrying about every other scenario to be honest."

It had been three days now since I went to the waterfall, and I was on duty. I would have to be fully on duty whenever something big went down, like what was happening tonight. I had no clue what was going to happen, all I knew was that they were going into Florence, for some deal, and if it went bad, I had to be ready to stitch people up. I was just sat in the chair in my office, and I began to dose off; it was late, and I was tired, need I say more. The hustle and bustle and shouting voices woke me up, and suddenly there were about 15 men crowding into my small office room, with various cuts and bruises.

I got to work, stitching up the larger cuts first, irrigating them and sterilising them. Then I addressed the ones with smaller cuts. I handed out painkillers to those in pain, and ointments to those who needed them. One person came in with a broken wrist, which I had to set in place, and then wrap a plaster cast around. I asked where Enzo and his close friends were, but everyone came up blank. After that wave, the men distributed themselves around the house, finding beds to crash in for the night, and then another wave of people came in. These injuries all worse than the ones before. I quickly picked up my phone and speed dialled the other private surgeons employed by Enzo. They would be here in 10 minutes, as I could not handle this many people so quickly.

I got everyone with heavy bleeding to apply a sterile bandage to their wound and apply pressure. They knew what they were doing though, and it didn't really phase them. Stumbling in through the door came Antonio, his weight being carried by Stefan. I instantly saw the knife half sticking out of his leg. Stefan helped me lie him on one of the operating tables in the next room, and I quickly X-rayed the area to see what damage underneath the knife had done. It had just nicked a large vein in his leg. As the knife was in the wound still, it was blocking the blood from coming out as much as it would otherwise do if there was no knife left in him. I worked quickly with one of my colleagues, and we managed to stabilise the wound, and remove the knife carefully, preventing a huge amount of bleeding. I could tell Antonio was losing consciousness, I quickly put an oxygen mask over his face and injected the wound with general anaesthetic, and worked even quicker than before to suture up the wound and bandage it. Just as I was finishing, I saw Enzo being carried in on a stretcher, and laid on the bed next to Antonio. I called my assistant to finish Antonio's bandages, and quickly cleaned myself up to start looking at Enzo's injuries. He had bullet wounds, not stab wounds. Whoever shot him, failed to shoot a fatal shot, missing the heart, head and major organs, but if I didn't get these bullets out fast, he could still die.

The first bullet was stuck in his sternum (the bone in the centre of the chest), this was the tamest of all the bullets, even though it was closest to the heart. My colleague pulled it out and put it in the metal pot on the table with all our tools that stood next to the bed. I heard a clink as the two metal objects made contact with eachother. She began suturing that wound up, whilst I tackled the next one. This was lodged in his right arm. I did a quick X-ray and noted that a major blood vessel had been hit. Fuck. If I remove this bullet, it will be like unplugging a hole to a huge artery and he could bleed out. I called to my assistant, Sophia, for an IV drip, a blood bag of Enzo's blood type and local anaesthetic stat. She quickly hurried around the room, gathering the items, whilst my other colleague, David, and I assessed the situation.

Working quickly together, Sophia attached the IV drip to Enzo, and we added local anaesthetic to it, as well as administering IV antibiotics. She also put the oxygen mask over his face, and was ready at his side to complete the blood transfusion. David took the tweezers, and pulled out the bullet, slowly, whilst I quickly sewed up the severed blood vessel, and cauterised (stopped) any of the surrounding bleeding. He still bled, a lot. I took the blood bag off Sophia, and began the blood transfusion.

There was one more bullet to remove, this one was lodged in his abdomen. It missed all of the major organs, arteries, and nerves, but still would cause significant bleeding and pain. I pulled out the bullet, stabilising the wound, stopping the bleeding, and then I sutured (stitched) up the gap. The blood bag was now empty, so I removed it. I bandaged up the three bullet holes, and turned to see that entire time I had a full on audience. Gian, Dante, Stefan and Pascal were watching Enzo and I intently, even Antonio had stirred awake and was watching, as were all of the other mafia men and guards that had gathered in the room. Antonio passed out soon after. completely exhausted, only forcing himself to stay awake to make sure his best friend would be okay. I triple checked everything was okay with Enzo's drip, his wounds and everything, and left David in charge. I pushed my way through the crowd of men watching my every move, and ran upstairs to my room. I sat and I just cried. I cried and cried and cried.

Why on earth was I crying? Was it the let-down after the adrenaline? Was it that I held, in my hands, the life of two men I felt dearly about this evening? Was it that I missed home? Was it that Enzo nearly died in my arms today? Enzo. All I could think of was him. Why was I thinking of him? Yes, he was dashingly handsome, but he kidnapped me, but he did it for my safety, what safety? From Jack? I can handle him myself. Although I have had a really nice time out here, and apart from being sedated to come here and sedated after being here, I wasn't trapped, I could leave whenever I wanted... why did I stay then? Was I scared of going back? Or did I want to stay? Did Enzo, I don't know, care for me? What was I even saying? My thoughts swirled around my head as I drifted off to sleep.

================================================================================

Hey guys! Please vote and comment I would LOVE to hear your thoughts! Also, follow me for updates! Keep reading, it gets dramaticccccc.

Do you think she is developing feelings for Enzo, or is just a little overwhelmed? The next part is the beginning of a bit of a wild story arc to follow, keep reading!!

Hope you are all staying safe in lockdown! <3