Chapter 13 - ENZO

When I woke up, my head was so sore, my body ached all over, and all I could we was a bright harsh light. I tried to get up, but I was pushed back down by Pascal sitting next to me.

"You're on bedrest for a few days, doctor's orders," said Antonio, sitting in the bed next to me, "and I am too I guess."

"What happened?" I asked, barely remembering the night this all went down.

"Dickhead French mafia declared war, don't worry, more of their men got stabbed and shot than ours," he chuckled.

"Yes, we need to keep on high alert now," stated Gian.

My mind began to wonder to Katarina, where she was, and what was she doing? Why was she not here? Did something happen to her, did she get hurt?

"What happened to me?" I said, directing my question at the doctor that was bustling around.

"You got shot, three times," he replied, indicating to the various places I had bandages, "there were so many wounds that evening, Dr Mendez had to call Sofia and I in for extra help. I assisted her in your operation." I nodded in appreciation; I would send a gift to his house when I could.

"You have to be on bed rest though, both of you," he said, indicating to both Antonio and I, "we don't want any of your stiches coming undone, or wounds reopening."

"Can we see Dr Mendez, you know, to thank her?" asked Antonio, saying exactly what I was thinking.

"I am afraid she is in Manchester at the moment," replied Gian. I shot a look at him.

"The fuck do you mean?" I growled.

"Her mother was worried and wanted to see her, she travelled there four days ago, you've both been knocked out for a while you know," replied Gian, calmly.

"Who went with her then?" quizzed Antonio.

"She went on her own, booked her own flight, okayed it with me before doing so, and said she would make it back at some point in the near future, leaving Dr David Pondras in charge."

"The fuck. Do. You. Mean. She went on her own, with no protection, and she hasn't even booked a return flight!" I snarled at Gian. How could he be so careless?

I had to come to terms with it, at least for now, that there would be no Katarina in the house. She would not fill the house with her singing, or her floral perfumes, she would not keep me on my toes with her quick, sly comebacks, her laughter that sounded adorable would not fill me with joy and happiness, and make me chuckle along with her when she laughed so hard she snorted. Even though I was afraid to spend time with her, that she would see me as a monster and push me away forever, she brought so much happiness and joy to my life, and to the lives of my men, who always smiled when she was in the room. It was as though the sky knew the woman who kept everything light in my house and my heart had left, as it soon began raining, and thundering. I watched as huge bolts of lightning came down and struck the earth. It mimicked exactly how I felt in that moment, hurt, lost, dark, stormy, angry.

I was asleep for 6 days, thank god, because bullet wounds heal in about 10 days, so I only had to suffer another 4ish days of doing fuck all and lying in bed. I still had pain, and bruising around the area, but there were no cuts left, and finally I could get up and stretch my legs. I headed straight for Katarina's room, and noted that although she had obviously packed her clothes, there were still things I knew she loved that she would've taken if she was planning on not coming back again.

I went over to her bed, and sat down in it, hearing what sounded like a crinkle of paper. It was a note, reading:

To Enzo, if it is Enzo who is reading this.

Hope you are well, and your wounds have healed up by now, and if you are still on bed rest, go the fuck back to bed, or just lie in mine, I'm not using it.

I chuckled at the note.

You've probably gathered I am in Manchester right now; my mother was worried and I needed to see her. I am planning on returning in 10 days time. If later, I will call you and let you know why. But I will be coming back. Promise.

Katarina

X

Ten days. Okay, so that's in two days' time. That's not that long, I can wait.

I waited very impatiently those two days, I checked with the airport to see if there were any incoming flights from Manchester that day, but none that had her name on. I was confused, and starting to get worried. I decided I would wait another two days.

Again, there was no call from her, no message, and no flights in bound with her on.

I decided I would call her mother. The first call rang out, but on the second call she picked up.

"Hello, Katarina, is that you? When are you arriving? I thought your flight was supposed to be ages ago?" said her mother in a panicked voice.

"This is Enzo, her... friend, don't stress, all is okay, she just got a bit delayed," I tried to reassure her, I didn't want her worrying, but I was fucking freaking out myself. I hung up the phone and ran downstairs, swearing endlessly. Quickly, I let everyone know what the situation was, and we began to deal with it, calling every contact we know to try and find her.

"Enzo, why do you care so much about her?" asked Gian.

'Fuck off' I thought but didn't say it. I replied to him with a bit of a glare. Truth is, I have no idea, but I am not about to start going into all the details right now. I just knew I had to find her. God, this fucking woman, so damn stressful!

===========================================================================

Hey guys! Please vote and comment I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on my book! And follow me for updates!

What do you guys think has happened to Katarina? I hope she is okay!!

Hope you are all staying safe in lockdown! <3