Chapter 30 - KAT

My grandfather greeted me at the door with open arms, I hugged him then skulked around in my room for a couple of days. I didn't want to speak to anyone or talk to anyone. Everyone knocked and came by, seeing if I was okay, and they would often leave behind some food or a cup of tea. After about five days of this, I finally decided to get up out of bed and open the curtains. It was a gorgeous Summer's day outside, and believe me, I was going to relish in the Sun. After I had come in from a day of walking through the gardens, swimming, reading and sunbathing, I met my Uncle Lomovstev in the kitchen.

"Hey Uncle Stev," I called out to him; Stev was my nickname for him. He looked up from his newspaper and smiled brightly.

"Hello Kat, glad to see you are up and about." I smiled at him. "Kat, a certain Don has tried non-stop to get in contact with us. If you want to speak to him, you can, if you don't you never have to speak to him again."

"Not right now Uncle Stev."

"Ahh, my beautiful granddaughter, you look well," spoke my grandfather's voice, almost singsong, as he entered the room.

"Now, let's get down to business. Your birthday is in a week, and I would like to throw you a ball!" his words just felt me with dread, I couldn't think of anything worse right now.

"Grandfather, I don't think-"

"Nonsense! I will organise it all, you just have to turn up on the day and smile at a few people! I will invite all of your friends from England! I also want to show off my beautiful granddaughter to the world!" he seemed genuinely excited, and I didn't want to disappoint him; he had done so much for me, "make this old man happy." He outstretched his arms for a hug.

"Okay, fine," I said as I hugged him.

The past week had been a whirlwind of event planning, although I didn't have to do much, I just had to point at things I liked. I had to choose the flowers, the cake, the decorations, like the colour scheme of the ballroom, the menu, the cocktail menu, the entertainment. I also tried on a few ballgowns and settled on a gorgeous sequined burgundy one.

The day of the ball was even more hectic. People were rushing around all over the house trying to get things together, carrying plates of food, glasses, flowers, decorations, everything. My grandfather had also hired a hairdresser, makeup artist and someone else to do my nails. They pulled at my hair, grabbed my hands, and poked at my face. Another woman waxed almost every bit of hair off of my body, and another worked with me to get dressed, even though I didn't need any help. When they were finished, they looked back in awe, and turned me around to look in the mirror. I had no idea who the person was that I was looking at. I looked stunning. My hair was curled and delicately half of it was put up, with beautiful burgundy roses, that matched my dress, and pearls that were laced within it. The dress itself was stunning. It was a deep burgundy colour, completely covered in sequins, and it hugged my figure in such a flattering way. I poked my leg through the slit in my dress and looked at my sin-inch shoes, plain gold, strappy sandals that complimented the colour of the dress. Around my neck was a gold pendant, with a huge diamond, cut in the shape of a teardrop that huge as a pendant. It filled up the empty space that would've been on my neck perfectly. My earrings matched the necklace, and I had a dainty golden charm bracelet around my wrist. My makeup was done to perfection too, completely natural foundation, blusher and bronzer, but with a sultry smokey eye and winged eyeliner. The look was paired with a soft red lip colour to wrap it all together.

The party was in full swing before I got there, as I was supposed to do this whole thing where they announce me as the birthday girl and I walk down this huge staircase in the middle of one of the walls in the banquet hall. I poked my head around the corner and saw the hall was decorated beautifully. There were pink and white roses that were dotted around the place, and the colour scheme was gold, pink and white. All of the tables were beautifully laid out, with white tablecloths, a vase of flowers in the middle and pink and gold accents. Just as I started to feel nervous, my cousin, Lyamina (Mina) came up to me and assured me that everything was going to be okay. She was nervous too the first time she had a big ball like this, but it turned out to be one of the best nights of her life. I took her advice and warm words and manifested it into courage. She handed me a glass of champagne and a shot of vodka, and I downed them both, vodka first.