Chapter 26

-------------------------------Sophie's Perspective---------------------------

Worthless. Never find them. Your fault.

I woke up with a jolt breathing heavily. In. Out. In. Out. I focused on the rhythm until my headache became bearable. I turned to the digital clock, careful not to wake Biana, who was snoring beside me. It read 11:27 PM. My shift didn't start for at least 4 hours. I didn't really want to sleep, though. Not with the monster still lurking in the dark depths of my mind.

"Take a walk, maybe the fresh air will clear your head," a voice reminded me. It took me a second to realize that Biana said those words. I nodded and smiled gratefully. Her eyes followed me to the flap of the tent as I exited the tent. I smiled at myself as I heard Biana and Dex's not-so-quiet snoring rhythm.

"Sophie?" someone whispered. I looked up and my eyes met the beautiful teal eyes that could only belong to Fitz, "It's not your turn yet is it?"

"No, I... couldn't sleep," I responded. I had forgotten that Fitz would be out here.

"Is it the echo?" he asked me, I nodded. He looked at me worriedly, "Maybe I can wake up Silveny and she can help-"

"It's fine. I'm fine," I told him.

"Are you sure? I'm sure she wouldn't mind," he continued.

I gave him what I thought was a reassuring smile. He didn't look very convinced, but scooted over, making space for me to sit.

I sat next to him, shivering from the night's cold. We sat there in silence for I don't know how long.

"It just feels wrong doesn't it," Fitz said, interrupting the comfortable silence.

"What?" I asked.

"I don't... I think... I just feel like something's off," he started, "Do you think the Neverseen want us to go into hiding?"

There. He said it. The question I was trying to hide. The question I thought most of us were trying to hide. "I've been thinking the same thing," I admitted. "What if they want us away from the Lost Cities. What if they're planning something. We won't know until it's too late!"

"I know. A million things could go wrong," He replied.

"I know that protecting Silveny and Greyfell is important, but shouldn't we be focusing on training?," I asked.

Fitz nodded, "Maybe we can train," he said slowly, "I don't see why we can't do Cognate training or skill training."

"I can't believe I didn't think about that!" I said and snapped my fingers. I channeled the heat from the friction to my whole body. Fitz raised his eyebrows. "Body temperature regulation," I clarified.

"Right," he said, "You've got to teach me how to do that."

"Yeah, sure," I said, remembering the time when he used to teach me how the elvin world worked. I had come so far.

Not far enough. A voice in my head reminded me. Your fault. Your fault. Your fault.

I massaged my forehead as a headache flared behind my eyes.

"Seriously, Sophie, what's wrong?" Fitz asked. His eyes widened, "Sophie?" Then the world went black.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------