━━ 00 prologue.

ECKART MANSION
( THE DUKE'S OFFICE )

ECKART MANSION( THE DUKE'S OFFICE )

THE MORNING had dawned cold , with a dreary bunch of clouds cloaking the skies and causing a gloomy grey to fall upon the surroundings . the crispiness in the morning air suggested full well the end of summer ― which usually took it's leave sooner than most in the empire of inca .

the eckart mansion was dimly lit in this weather ― filled with the quiet , subtle hustle of the servants in the background ,  a faint earthy scent lingering ever so softly in the welcoming hall from the wet earth of the gardens outside .

penelope ― unwilling to engage in the whispered commotion between her father and derrick , her elder brother ― both of whom looked like they'd seen a ghost ― chose to busy herself with the translation of the runic engraving in yet another treasure chest that had been brought in from the neighbouring kingdom . 

she preferred keeping it this way ,  dealing with the snakepit that was the noble circle drained her more than hours spent in the mage tower did .

it was neglectful on her part , as the ducal princess of the eckart household . but then again it wasn't as if she were to be treated as the true princess anyway ,  after all ,  she was a mere adopted daughter of the duke .

she hissed to herself ,  when the pen she was working with suddenly squirted ink all over her already stained gloves once again . turning , penelope was about to ask her maid emily to bring her a napkin ,  when she heard a voice ,  

“ sweetling ? ”

the term of endearment left no space for question who was calling her ―― and there stood the duke , his face distorted into a hesitant frown . penelope ,  confused ,  questioned back .

“ is there something that's bothering you , father ? ”

he seemed to struggle with his words ,  thus he wordlessly gestured penelope to follow him as he lead her towards his office .

the room was west facing ,  hence mostly dark today . entering ,  penelope was welcomed with the fresh scent of ink and paper spread throughout the room . by the table ,  derrick stood stiffly ,  a sour expression on his face .

the duke walked over to the table ,  sitting on the sofa across from his work desk ,  and gestured the two of his children to take a seat . derrick and penelope complied ,  and from the looks of it ,  penelope could tell derrick was already aware of the issue father had called them to address .

the three of them waited for a while , until reynold ,  the second son of the duke strutted within the room late as he always was .

“ gods , you three look like someone died . ” he commented as soon as he entered , hopping over the sofa to take a seat on the armrest of penelope's side of sofa .