━━ chapter XIX.

..

[ το δώρο ]
the gift

..

CRYSTAL PALACE
MORNING

CRYSTAL PALACEMORNING

..

LIVELY && . FESTIVE , the obelian royal palace was full of chatter and hustle ― servants from all departments had come to wish the empress a happy birthday ; the first one to wish her had been emily ― prepared with her classic dopey grin and penelope's favourite breakfast ― ' happy birthday , miss ! ' she even addressed her like she used to in past . it was such a sweet gesture , penelope couldn't reprimand her for the insolence of addressing her with the wrong title .

not just that , she'd even put extra effort into dolling penelope up for the occasion , which was unnecessary but appreciated regardless .

second had been athanasia , ser robane and lilian york , who had come bearing flowers and gifts later when she'd dressed up . athanasia gifted her a portrait she'd drawn of penelope with herself , and albeit it needed quite a lot of improvement ― for penelope looked more like dragon lily than a person ― it still made her smile .

ser robane and lily had prepared a bouquet and a cake for penelope ― looking very much like a couple as they presented their wishes together ( and at the same time , in sync . )

let's say , the start of penelope's day had been rather cheery , and she found herself enjoying the attention .

however there was one thing still missing ; every time a servant would enter her chambers to wish her , she couldn't help but anticipate the emperor who had yet not made an appearance .

so once the clock hit past ten , penelope gave up and wandered off to the gardens , the book athanasia's playmate ― lucas had gifted her in hand , carefree steps enjoying the morning breeze on a much deserved break from her duties .

when crossing the patch of baby's breath on her way , penelope stopped when she reached a certain interesting part , reading . it was quite nice ― now that she noticed ― titled ' the memoir of aetarnithas ' and was full of 'utter horseshit and lies , but hey it's your birthday so ! ' as said by him . she still couldn't believe the little brat was capable of being so thoughtful .

she was absorbed in the book , when a sudden cool , heavy sensation placed her neck ― startled , she was about to turn to face who it was , until she heard the faint words behind her .

" happy birthday . " he said , clasping what felt like jewellery around her neck . she grinned to herself , turning to face claude who stood behind her .

" thank you , your highness . " she replied , fingers reaching out to touch the necklace . it was rather . . . extravagant , she could tell . not exactly her taste , but

" it's ― a family heirloom . " he explained , averting his eyes as if the flowers around were suddenly the most interesting thing .

" this necklace has been passed down to generations of the empresses in obelia . and since you have now taken up the role for nearly an year ― i thought it would be a fitting birthday gift to you . you don't have to wear it of course , but it's yours to keep , you can ― " his rant was cut midway , by a pair of arms being thrown across his neck .

for a moment , he freezed in his place ; he hadn't expected the all too sudden embrace . had she liked that piece of junk so much ? he thought , wide eyes looking down at the slender frame of the girl who whispered .

" thank you ― i love it . " one would think she was referring to the necklace , but the voice heavy with sentiment suggested something else ; more than the necklace , he could tell it was the sense of belonging that she appreciated more .

it brought a smile to his face , his form relaxed ― the scent he had come to appreciate so much evading his senses . so when the empress tried to pull away , she felt stronger arms loop around her frame ― tightening , his face hiding in the crook of her neck .

it was weirdly intimate ― standing in between the flower field like this . but penelope strangely didn't mind .

the book fell down from her hands , forgotten , as they came to touch the back of claude's neck .

she couldn't see his face , but she could feel his grin growing on her neck .

" happy birthday , penelope . "

xxxx

FUFUFUFUFU THEY'RE-―  tbh i low-key wanted to add a kiss here but the  i was like no no not just yet

FUFUFUFUFU THEY'RE-― tbh i low-key wanted to add a kiss here but the i was like no no not just yet .

anyway , its obvious that Claude likes her now . Next chap marks Penny's reunion with her dad ! stay tuned ! ! !