━━ chapter II.

<

OBELIA
EMPEROR'S PALACE
IN THE AFTERNOON

OBELIAEMPEROR'S PALACEIN THE AFTERNOON

<

POV: CLAUDE DE ALGER OBELIA
────────╼━━━━━━╾────────

HAZY VISION ―― cleared when met with the sight of his little daughter patting his chest and singing fervently the lullaby he once said he liked . brows furrowed , and he slowly sat up .

with time , claude had learned to control his defensive reflexes around the child to not frighten her . athanasia seemed to like that , now he was much more comfortable in her presence .

" Good morning Papa ! " she chided as soon as he got up , leaning over his lap with an excited way .

" felix told athy papa asked her to join him for lunch ! did papa get cake for athy ? is it chocolate cake? ― not that athy minds if he didn't ask the cook to prepare it ― athy was just cu― "

I just woke up ― he thought , sighing at the headache that slowly was coming to him . frowning , he eyed the child before picking her up with one hand ― earning a squeak from the girl ― and placed her on the other side of the dining table .

" are you here to see me or for the cake that lilian has stopped serving you ? " he stated monotonously , giving her a look that said don't try to fool me .

athanasia replied with a mischievous little chuckle , shrugging as she replied " cake is better if i eat it with papa . "

cunning little child ― he was no fool to her innocent act , but somehow his daughter's shrewd acting made her more endearing than most .

the man shook his head , " eat . "

grabbing her cutlery with much more precision than expected from a child her age , athanasia obeyed . they ate in silence , until athanasia noticed the paper placed on the table ― it wasn't like him to leave documents lying around ― so she peeked into the contents .

" Inca empire ? Where is that , papa ? "

curious as ever , she questioned him . claude's response was impassive , as he sliced the meat on his table slowly .

" it is on the west , composed of sixteen kingdoms . you will learn about it further in your history class . "

however that wasn't enough to ease little princess' curiosity ― so she kept going .

" why did they send you a message ? do they want to be friends with us ? or .. haw― ! " she whispered , jeweled eyes wide in childlike horror .

" do they wish to fight us , papa ?! "

this time claude looked up at athanasia , incredulous expression over his usually uninterested face .

" no , they do not wish to fight us . "

regardless , athanasia didn't stay quiet . of course she didn't ; she was too much like her mother to . inquisitive , brazen , interested in the littlest of things .

" then why did they send a letter , papa ? it seems like an invitation , do they want you to visit their country ? can athy come too ?! "

she chided excitedly , the food in her plate forgotten long ago . claude had no choice but to answer , after all she will not stop until her questions are completely answered .

he sighed , putting his cutlery down to explain .

" the ministers in the small council have proposed marriage for me in the inca empire ― for alliance purposes ― and since the emperor of inca doesn't have any daughters , to wed the ducal princess with me . that ― " he pointed at the lying invitation , not failing to notice the shock on the child's face .

" is the acceptance letter . the wedding will be held in inca empire due to traditional purposes . "

athanasia was now silenced ― and instead of shock , fear slow morphed over her face . claude could tell why ; athanasia was a clever child , and a paranoid one as well .

she showed it many times by agreeing to whatever he said , trying her best to please him . she even refused to not see her mother's memories just so she doesn't anger him .

claude didn't show it , but he knew .

" athanasia , do you have a problem with it ? " he questioned , gently as he could . for he did not want the reaction of the child who was constantly trying to please him , he wanted her honest words .

but much to his dismay , she instantly smiled ― although it was a hollow smile .

" of course not , papa ! " she exclaimed , adding quickly .

" this way athy would get to visit the inca empire ! and will get a mother too ! maybe even siblings . athy is so bored with playing alone all the time , they will love raven too― hic― "

and before she could stop it , tears were flowing down those chubby cheeks thoroughly . her voice cracked , causing her to hiccup several times , and she cast her eyes down to her lap to prevent him seeing her like that .

it broke his heart to see her like this .

his frown deepened , and before he could notice , claude was rising from his seat to kneel in front of athanasia's , embracing her small form and carrying her away from the table .

" shh , shh ― no need to cry . " he found himself consolling the child , rocking her form gently .

I hope his majesty gives this child his love as he did to me ; diana's words came back to him . and never in his life did he think he would be coddling the child like this ― the child who took his beloved's life away .

the child whom she chose over herself , over him .

" if you don't want it , i will not remarry . just say the word ; marriage isn't a necessity for me , or the empire for that matter . "

he reassured the little girl , whose tears had now subsided and was clinging to him like an infant monkey .

" it's not that athy doesn't want papa to marry . " she whispered , meekly as if ashamed of her own reaction .

" just don't forget athy , papa .. " she trailed off , small face hiding itself in his neck where he could still feel her damp cheeks .

something about her insecurity tugged at his heart . whether it was shame , guilt , or paternal instincts , claude wasn't sure . but he found himself regretting not paying attention to this child in the past . maybe then she wouldn't have felt as if his love for her was a flighty phase which would fade away as soon as he found himself interested in something else .

more to assure himself than her , he replied , voice determined .

" you are my daughter , athanasia . nothing ― and no one ― can change that . "

xxx SCENE CUT xxx

<