Chapter 35: Destiny

You woke up around 9:17am, groggy and rolling in your bed you stretched your sleepy muscles. As your body woke up, catching up with your mind, you stared up at the ceiling. Christmas Eve. Today was supposed to be the beginning of your family's holiday shenanigans, but you knew it wouldn't pan out like that. You reminded yourself of your borderline subconscious decision that you made last night to embrace whatever occurs today, let destiny take the reigns. Taking a deep breath, you sprung from bed heading into the bathroom.

You hopped into the shower, turning it on you let the cold stream shock you awake and tingle your senses. Turning the water warm you took a good long shower, shaving and exfoliating. Self-care was your first step in making today a good day. Taking the time to make yourself feel good never failed in making you feel better. And over the last month, you hadn't shaved anything once. It was winter and you had no reason to. So you didn't.

Your parents didn't care, and you didn't either, but there was something about feeling silky smooth that boosted your confidence. Your skin glowing, free of the hair and dead skin cells. Like shedding your old worn out skin, making room for the new layer. Today, you were a shedding snake, leaving your old skin –– and hopefully the memories along with it –– as you embraced your new skin, welcoming the new memories that were going to be made starting today.

You left a deep-conditioning hair mask in your hair while you shaved, letting it moisturize your dead ends. You always washed your face last so you could let the steam open up your pores. You used a soft microfibre towel to gently scrub and exfoliate your face as you washed it, letting the fresh scent of your face wash wake you even further. After rinsing everything thoroughly, you felt incredibly refreshed, your mind stimulated.

You looked in the mirror, squinting to see your reflection you rubbed the mirror of the condensation from the steam. Squeaks filled the room and your fingers cooled from touching the cold mirror. You tied your hair up in a head towel and finished your face routine. You moisturized your body with a peppermint scented lotion, hoping it would help you get into the Christmas spirit. It sort of worked, and your nose tingled as the beads of peppermint wafted up into your face.

You went back into your bedroom and sat at your tiny vanity. You inspected your face in your mirror and saw that your eyebrows were unruly and unkept. Grabbing some tweezers and cosmetic scissors you tended to them. Plucking and trimming until they were perfect, by your standards anyways. You filled them in and started decided to put some makeup on, you weren't sure if you were going to take pictures later or not. You went for a simple winged eyeliner with a bright champagne highlight in your inner corners and brow bone. You took time in coating your lashes with mascara, making sure they were separated evenly and not clumpy.

You sat back and swivelled your head from side-to-side, deciding to add some colour to your otherwise pale face. You took your bronzer and swept a big fluffy brush through the hollows of your cheeks, you always admired your cheekbones and how high-set they were. Then you swept some over your temples and down the sides of your jaw, basically making  '3' on your face. You grabbed a smaller longer brush and dipped into the bronze powder, dusting it over your nose. Buffing it all together with a clean brush you topped off your face with some highlighter, the same champagne one you used on your eyes.

You decided to put contacts in today, so you did that before putting eyeliner on your waterline. You took the hair towel out and combed through your almost-dry hair. Putting it in a loose braid at the nape of your neck you got dressed. For the time being you just put on some leggings and a Star Wars t-shirt, hiking some colourful socks over your ankles. You took a deep breath and looked at the clock: 10:48am. You had better gone to start helping your mum make brunch.

Exiting your bedroom you smelled fresh coffee and the scent of bacon hit your nostrils. You inhaled deeply and followed the delicious smells. You poked your head into the living room, your dad was sat in his chair with his leg elevated. "Good morning dad!" You smiled at him and waved. He looked up from the newspaper he was reading and smiled big. "Morning honey! How was your sleep?"