Chapter 39: Merry Christmas

You went to bed after you and your mum finished the movie, and as you walked past your dads office you heard the soft mumbles of the men still chatting away. You checked your phone: 11:47pm. It was almost midnight and they were still working.

You wondered if Ben was tired. Not that he ever slept normally anyways. Your dad must be tired. But he's so excited about this that he wouldn't dare be the first one to turn in. You lingered by the door for a little bit, letting the aroma of stale coffee and pale yellow light seep through the cracked door.

Your mum had tidied up the kitchen, assuring you that you could go to bed. She knew you were mentally exhausted and nervous about tomorrow, but you and her went over your so-called plan multiple times for your sake.

She kissed your forehead and hugged you deeply, telling you that everything would be okay. And you believed her, you had no reason not to.

Ben got along amazingly with your family. And your dad knew the importance of one's soulmate; thanks to your mum. He'd understand. He'd have to.

You inhaled, letting the air fizzle between your lips before you headed back to your room. You closed the door and lazily walked to the bathroom. You stripped and took a searing hot shower.

You let the water trickle down your aching body. Though you weren't sure where the aches were coming from. Perhaps your heart. Your mind definitely. Your lower body for sure. Your soul? Maybe. It's so hard to tell now. So much going on.

You needed to clear your head. You turned the water cold and it jostled you to your bones. Your teeth clacked but you felt alive and awake. The fog in your mind slowly left as you exhaled, the air now frigid and alert.

You shut the shower off and put your wet hair up into a messy bun, cold water droplets falling on your shoulders. You put on your coconut scented lotion and washed your face half-assed. You pulled on a pair of white lace panties and a matching white lace bralette. You knew you were going to sleep, but you felt a tinge of nostalgia when you spotted them in your drawer.

These ones were pristine and glowing. Though as you looked closer, you thought that you might have preferred if they too were tinged crimson. You sat on your bed and flicked on the Christmas lights hanging under your window. The colours dancing playfully around your room as you blinked blankly at them.

You felt numb and electrified. Worried and exalted.

You sat for what felt like a long while, breathing, living.

A soft knock at your door startled you and you glanced down at your phone: 1:32am.

Christmas Day.

"Come in," you beckoned.

The door creaked open and a large hand emerged holding a glass on wine. The hand was followed by the face of the man you were going to risk everything you've ever had in your life for.

Ben.

He came in and shut the door, observing your state and slowly walking over to you. He stood in front of you and offered you the glass of wine. You had already brushed your teeth, but you accepted it anyways. It was red, your least favourite, but the gesture had you craving it.

You took it in your hand as you stood up, and Ben's hand came around your backside. Your free arm reached up and drew circles on his bare shoulder.

He was only wearing pj pants, thin, light grey. The heat radiating off of his bare chest sent shivers into your heart. You realized you were freezing and Ben dipped down so that you could wrap your arm around his shoulders more.