f i v e

The five teens were walking, unsure of the route they were taking.

"May I ask where we're going?" Alex asked. Meanwhile, Dariush was complaining in the background. "My jaw hurts.." he said, wiping off the black goo on his face.

   "The astronaut said this key could stop the aliens," she explained, grabbing the key around Alex's neck. "..and we need to take it to TRL."

"JPL, a NASA facility," Alex corrected her. "In the foothills of Pasadena, I went there once for a robotics project with my dad."

   "Tastes like truffle butter.." Dariush kept on whining. At this point, you just wanted him to shut up.

   "Hey, will you shut up and let those two finish talking?" You spoke up. Dariush just looked at you, with his hand on his right cheek. Alex and Zhenzhen kept talking.

   "Do you know how to get there?" Zhenzhen asked Alex.

   "Without GPS? No, it's over 70 miles away from here." Alex responded.

"Woah, woah, what?! You wanna head 70 miles into the city?!" Dariush exclaimed, his eyes growing large. "The alert said to stay out of metropolitan areas, not head straight into them!"

"We don't have to take it all the way to Pasadena," Zhenzhen said. "Let's just get this key down the mountain, and take it to an adult. Tell them to take it to JPL."

"Guys, there's a sheriff's station down a bit. We could get it to a cop," Gabriel said.

Zhen smiled. "That's a great idea, Gabriel. Now let's get some bikes, and kick some ass!" Zhenzhen said, walking over to the bike rack as you high-fived her.

"Damn girl, your English is good," Dariush complimented her. The five teens walked towards the bikes, and Gabriel knelt down toward the bike lock, taking it in his hands.

"They gave us a code at registration, it's, um, six-six-nine." Dariush told him. Gabriel tried to memorize the code, but his mind didn't agree with him as he entered the wrong code by accident. He kept on trying and trying, repeating the numbers he'd heard.

"Six, nine..." The tall boy kept turning the numbers. "Dude, what are you talking about? I said six-six-nine," Dariush said, getting annoyed. "What are you, dumb?" That question triggered something in Gabriel, causing him to look up at the boy.

"I'm not dumb," Gabriel said, getting up. You took over and punched in the code, unlocking the bikes. Four of you claimed bikes and went out, except for Alex, who stayed at the doorway.

"What's wrong?" Gabriel asked Alex. "I can't go with you," Alex said, looking down. "Why?" You asked. "I can't ride a bike. I never learned how," Alex replied, still looking down.

"Just go ahead without me," the freckled boy said. "Cool, we out!" Dariush said. You all looked at him.

Gabriel proceeded to lecture him. "No, we got back down to your camp and everyone left you, how did that make you feel?" He said. Dariush, with all eyes on him, finally gave in.

"Hey, I saw a scooter some kid left back there," you said, "maybe he can ride that?" It was a good idea, but the group wanted Alex to learn how to ride a bike.

The group walked out onto the highway, getting on their bikes. "Alright, you go on either side of Alex, and we'll get him up to speed," Gabriel instructed Dariush and Zhenzhen. "I won't let you fall," Zhenzhen told Alex. You found it cute, and smiled at the small moment they shared.