Magic Humans and Monsters Ch.27

Y/N laid on her stomach, kicking her legs back and forth as her eyes darted across the page. She was almost finished with the Romeo-and-Juliet-esc story about a monster and a human that fell in love during The War she started almost a month ago. She hadn't had much time to read it, with things being as hectic and stressful as they were, but lately, she was more relaxed, happy. So she was going to take advantage of it as much as she could, and finishing the book was at the top of her list.

At this point, the monster princess had found out she was pregnant and was meeting up with her lover to tell him and run away to live a peaceful life with their child.

"My love!" The monster called, galloping to the man who fathered her baby.

"Princess!" He opened his arms to embrace her, his collar wet with sweat. He spun her around and kissed her like it was the last time he would ever see her before setting her down and looking deeply into her eyes. "My love, you need to run."

"I don't understand. Why?"

"Men are chasing me, they want to slaughter you. Please, darling, please run." He pleaded, desperation thick in his voice.

"Run with me! We can run away together!" She touched his face with her gentle paw. He thought only for a moment before pushing her away.

"No, I need to hold them back. I will catch up with you, I promise. But for now, my love, run."

"But-"

Three men with swords in their hands and scars on their faces burst through the bushes behind them.

"Run! I promise I'll go with you, just run!" Her love shoved her towards an opening in the trees. She gave him one last look before dashing away, the thought of protecting her child in her mind. 

"I love you!" She could hear him shout, his voice muffled by the pounding heartbeat in her ears. He would meet up with her, he promised. But that didn't stop tears from rolling down her face, matting her soft fur. He would come to find her and then she could tell him about their child. He would take her away and protect her, he promised he would come.

Y/N turned the page frantically, the old paper leaving residue on her fingertips.

A week later, and she was still waiting for him to come back.

Two months later, and she was still waiting for him to come back.

A year later, and she was still waiting for him to come back.

Two years, three years, four years, five years. She watched his daughter grow and waited patiently for his return. He promised he would come back, so he would. Deep in her heart, she knew he was somewhere he couldn't come back from, she knew he had protected her with his life. But he promised. And she was going to wait until the end of time for him to find her and kiss her.