[𝟿] all grown up

Hero, 16 years old

I squint at the ball Nile is holding and shouted at him to throw it to me. Pre-season game training is underway and I can say we're beating our shark enemies to a pulp. We've been beating Lincoln since that first time I played for the Tigers and we never lost since. I earned a few enemies on the opposing team, had been with a fight with them outside the field but at the end of the day, we always win. That's what matters. I ended up not going back to London for the past few years my parents' divorce is finalized. I would visit her every now and then but I guess you could say, I found a family here. Phoebe also got a new boyfriend who shares the same taste in music as I am so it didn't feel much lonely in there anymore. Also, I had the freedom to hang out with the friends I made here. Phoebe's more like a cool version of a mother for me.

"Sam's throwing a party tonight at her house. Her parents are out of town for a week. You coming?" Booker asked.

I always go to parties. I love them. Constant hang out with friends with addition of booze and a bit of pot. High school can be extra toxic but I did find spending it friends makes it more exciting.

"Of course, I'll go." Booker passes me the ball and I kicked it towards the goal.

"Sam told me you're going steady." Nile smiled at me. I laughed at the thought of Sam telling other people about a relationship that doesn't even exist. We made out a couple of times but I never really thought of having a relationship with her, or with anyone ever. Giving your attention to only one person does not really fit in what I have in mind. I'm not into cheating so I don't let them think I'll be their boyfriend. Like a steady relationship with another human being just makes me cringe. I always tell them first hand it's just for fun or a casual hookup. Most of the girls seemed okay with it but Sam she always thought we're going to be something more than a what we are.

"Don't believe anything Sam tells you. We're just friends."

"Friends who fuck?" Nile gave me a funny look and I almost hit him on the face with my towel. But he just laughed, mocking me.

I wipe the sweat on my forehead with my palm when the cheerleading team comes in the field. Some a giggling mess, some with their game face on. Short skirts, tight dress, brushed up ponytails and holding pom poms a mix of yellow and white. I spot a couple of girls and I wave at them, flashing that smile they keep on whispering about. Not until I see the face of the devil herself. Well, my devil, to say the least. Josephine Langford is the cheer captain for more than a year now. I never pegged her to be that cheerleading type of girl but you can say she pulled through. She grew up to be just how she is. Perfect, proper and devious. I can remember a handful of things she did to me after she stole that soda pin and most definitely after she gave me my brow scar. She almost burned my head when she exchanged my shampoo with hair shaving cream resulting to a big bald spot on the back of my head. I had to wear a cap on school days until some of the hair grew back. We've had so many things, major pranks we throw at each other and that one time she lost her favorite bracelet and saw me digging a hole in their backyard, threw her bracelet in and covered it with a mixture of Bailey's poo and some soil. Being her perfect little self, she never once dug up that small pile but she cried over her bracelet though and that satisfied me more than anything else.

"Wow! Jo looking hot today!" Booker exclaimed beside me. I can never deny the fact that Josephine grew up to be beautiful. Long dark blonde hair reaching her midsection, voluptuous body, facial features to die for. Plump lips, rosy cheeks, cheeky smile. She's not that tall, she almost at reach with my shoulder. That's one of the advantages I have of her. Once I have something in my hands she's trying to get back, she can never reach it. Behind her beautiful face, I know who Josephine Langford really is. She mostly just joined the cheerleading team because of that stupid boyfriend of hers, Brooklyn. I really didn't get the point of her showing her glutes to the opposing team while she' s cheering for us. She can transfer to Lincoln for all I care.