[𝟷𝟼] candyland debut

Josephine

30 days later

I wish I had asked for Phoebe to do my hair because when I look at it for the nth time in the mirror, it looks awful. I tried to braid it several times but I can't seem to even satisfy my own taste. My phone rings with my brothers face on the screen and I swipe on the green button, placing the phone in front of my ballerina music box.

"Hi little wombat! Oh wow, your hair is pink?" his face dipping into the screen making his face magnified. Trying to stare at my hair like he's having a dream. He looks like he's in the gym based on the half-naked people behind him. I stopped braiding for a second and just brushed my hair while looking at the mirror. I sit down and I see him laughing, his shoulders violently shaking.

"You really think this was funny? I mean, I'm thankful it turned out great but argh!" All the anger came rushing back and I want to scream but that's I stop myself. That's not me. I'm not an impulsive person. I think things through and that's what I'm doing. At least I got back at him with his stupid guitar. But I must admit, he brings out the worst in me. Literally.

Jonah clears his throat, trying so hard not to smile. "Little sis, I've been watching you and Hero do this thing since you were kids and every goddamn time, you lose. Time to quit. Remember, you can sometimes admit you're a loser."

If I can throw something at his face right now, I would but that would warrant my phone screen to be damaged so no, thank you.

"That is so comforting coming from you." I roll my eyes at him and continued brushing my hair. "I don't know why you always take his side on things. He's the one doing things to me. We're siblings. You should side with me."

"I just can't wait for that moment when you finally admit you have a crush on him." Jonah smirked

I gasped and picked up my phone, throwing myself on the bed, holding my phone up. "You just didn't say that. Ew, Jonah." I scrunch my nose, trying to stop myself from blushing, the make out session we had played in my mind like a film I loathe to watch.

My brother shakes his head and I glare at him. "You've done a lot when you both were younger, Jo. You've done a lot together. I've seen it all. He's your best friend. You just won't admit it to yourself."

I can feel the warmth fill my chest but I ignore it. "First of all, how dare you. Second of all, he is not my best friend. How many times do I have to tell you?"

"Whatever you say, sis. So, how's it going with your birthday preparations?" he asked. I sit down and prop my head against the headboard still holding my phone up. Jonah drank from his water bottle and I notice many girls eyeing him on the background. I just smile and will use it later to make fun of him.

"I'm almost done except for the invitations. I can't believe Mom and Dad would even let me use the house for a party." I shake my head at the thought.

"That sounds so much fun. I'm pretty sad I won't be able to be there. I have ongoing exams. But I would just like to remind you..."

I know my brother well so before he can even say anything, I cut him off. "Don't start with your safe sex reminders!"

"I'm just telling you -"

"Jonah!" I shout at the phone and he's chuckling. I want to smack him in the head right now.

"Fine, fine. At least Hero's there to keep you watch."

I roll my eyes, trying my hardest to seem unaffected by him mentioning Hero. When Jonah said me and Hero have done everything together, he was right. That one year where we promised not to prank each other, it was the happiest I had been. We took long bike rides together, swimming hole adventures, treehouse hangouts. There's a list that keeps on going and I choose to bury it in my memory. Hero did nothing to even honor those memories. He didn't care about the friendship that we obviously had so I shouldn't care too, right?