[𝟾] worst. first. ever

Josephine

After Hero basically telling me he never thought we were friends, I stomp my way to the school campus, trying to keep my tears in. But after I dumped all my books in my locker, I can't help it. I locked myself in a cubicle in the girl's bathroom. Softly sobbing to myself.

I never thought that something so sweet can turn into a nightmare. I wanted to understand him but he's making it harder and harder each time.

I hear the door opening and the sound of a few giggles. I already recognized the voice of the first person who spoke. Of course, Samantha had to be here in my breakdown.

"What are you gonna be to the dance?" Sam asked. I can hear the hush voices of the girls she's with. I just know one of them is Cheska. Those two have always been a pair. Pair of bullies.

"I have no idea. Hero will decide for me." She said with obvious flirt in her voice. So, he asked her to the dance. The dance I looked forward to be with him but I guess that's not the case.

I gasp but cover my mouth in an instant, tears still running down my face. I haven't admitted to myself that I have this huge on crush on Hero and ultimately, this is the turning point. I know he's hurt and I know he's sad but he has no right to treat me this way.

I wipe the tears from my eyes and held my head high when I open the door. I looked at Samantha's eyes straight in the mirror while she smirks at me, thinking I'm competing with her. She can own that stuck up mean weirdo for all I care.

I walked back to my locker, basically plucked my bag out and walked to first period. I think I can safely say I will be okay for the day but when Vanessa, president of the student council, came in with orange square papers that she distributes to everyone. I looked down and see a three checklists.

PUMPKIN WONDERLAND

(Trinity's Annual Halloween Dance)

VOTE FOR YOUR K&Q!

☐ Hero & Sam

☐ Booker & Julia

☐ Gavin & Vanessa

☐ Anton & Cassie

I want to crumple the paper in my hands or rip it to shreds. How can this day be any worse than a few seconds ago? It's 10 am and I already want to go home. Of course, they had to be the top choice. It just made me annoyed with him even more.

"Just drop everything in the boxes outside and we all look forward to all of you tomorrow night." Vanessa smiles at us and exits the room with two other officers. By the time the officers are out, Nile, Booker and Hero walks in. I try not to be affected by his presence but the only empty seat in the middle is beside me. Madison's sick so she's out today. And of course to spite me, Hero sat in her seat.

Mrs. Valerie gives us a page number we need to read and I dive right in, set my mind to the task and not allow myself to be distracted.

"I forgot my pen, do you have an extra?" Hero said. I'm not assuming he's asking me because there is no reason to even talk to me right now.

I completely ignored him and continued writing on my notebook.

"Bit, don't tell me you're still pissed off about that kiss." He whispered, really trying to get into my nerves. About that kiss? Yes, it my first kiss. And apparently it was his too but he acts like it's not. Well, based on what he said anyway. That thought just keeps messing with my mind.