[𝟹𝟺] i doubt you

Josephine

The day has been long and tiring, draining me on my first day back in school. I came back to a lot of activities I needed to organize. Next month will be the Homecoming dance, after that would be the Winter Dance and finally prom in February. Last thing I'll be organizing before I graduate.

After long hours of activities, I still need to do a one time stretch with the cheer team. That'll mean the routine I observe over and over again. I made the decision to step back a bit and just relax.

Madison nudged me with her elbow. "Need some juice?" She asks, offering me her water bottle with some green unknown liquid in it. Of course, Madison grew up to still be body conscious.

"I'm fine, thank you." I wipe the sweat off my forehead down to my neck. "But in all honesty, I will drop dead once I get home."

"Speaking of home, is your new boyfriend gonna take you home?" She winks at me and I swat her playfully with the towel in my hand.

"You talk as if he's like a new person in my life." I chuckle.

"Well, he is. I always imagined you getting together after the countless fights you had. But now it's happened, I couldn't believe it." She shakes her head, still cannot believe Hero and I are a couple now.

I just smile at her and look down at my phone, then it lights up with a new message. From my new boyfriend. I smile while opening the messaging but quickly disappeared as the overthinking settles in my brain.

i need to stay a few hours for practice. won't be able to drive you home but be safe

I stare at it confused and Madison noticed.

"What's wrong?"

I'm still staring at my phone, not knowing what to feel. It's almost 5:30 pm and I knew the soccer team, which he's a captain in, will all go home in a while. Some of the cheer team are boyfriends with some of the football team and I wonder if Hero's telling the truth. Yes, I'm an overthinker but I always get the truth with it. One way or the other.

They're doing a couple of lift routines and I call out to Harriet, which I know dates one of the boys from the soccer team.

"Hey, did your boyfriend mention training until 7pm?" I ask her, my heart racing.

"No. Actually he texted me, they'll have a mini pre-game party tonight."

"A pre-game party?" My forehead creased. He didn't mention anything about a party.

"They've been doing this for years. They usually have a mini party before a big game, just to calm the nerves and you know, plan a strategy."

That sounds harmless but the thing that irks me is why did he lie? Lie about staying in school for practice when he's obviously not. Does he take me for a fool that I won't find out about? His text is staring right at me, an outright lie.

"Okay, thank you. Do you happen to know where that would be?"

"They're doing it at Sean's." Harry smiled and I dismissed her and made the team go home in five minutes.

If they're doing a harmless get together, I can't quite paint a picture why would he lie to me. I guess I need to find out for myself.

"Maddie, can you go check on the field if Hero's still there? I just need to gather all my things. And tell him, I'll cut his balls when I see him."

Madison chuckled and stepped out of the gym. I stuff all my belongings in my bag and knowing I won't be able to go home in my boyfriend's car, I decide to wait for Madison outside.