xiv

──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

Kayleigh hoped Roisin was still asleep by the time she arrived at the campus housing. But considering how late Kayleigh woke up (Justin said he filed a leave for her after what... happened), Roisin would probably be worried sick.

And sure enough, when she unlocked the door, Roisin had been pacing back and forth, running her fingers through her hair as she dialled her number on her phone.

"Hey, Roh," she greeted, exasperated.

"Shut up, I've been looking for Kay — KAYLEIGH?!?" she gasped, worry laced in her tone. "WHERE WERE YOU?!?"

"I'm good too, Kayleigh. Morning," she remarked, taking out left-over food from the fridge. "I was with Justin."

"Overnight? Why? What did you two do?" Roisin asked.

Roisin observed Kayliegh's hunger as she devoured the left-over pasta in just a matter of minutes. However, she was more concerned when she noticed how Kayleigh was covered in bruises and scars as if she had been fighting someone. "What happened to you?"

"I'm okay. Don't worry, I'm fine. These will go."

"Okay, but why were you with Justin?"

"Roisin, there was a storm last night. We had no place to go, so we were forced to stay together at a hotel."

"What? What hotel? Kayleigh, what did you do?"

Kayleigh sighed, exhausted. She just wanted to sleep. The last thing she needed was Roisin questioning her. "Roisin, we didn't do anything I'll regret later. And besides, would I do it with someone I rarely know?" she stopped at that. "Well, I almost did."

"KAYLEIGH, WITH JUSTIN?!?"

"NO!" Kayleigh almost screamed. Almost. "Roisin, I'm not ready to talk about what happened last night. I just want to sleep. My head hurts."

Roisin sighed in defeat. "Okay. Sleep up, Kay. I'll tell the professor you can't come today."

"It's okay," Kayleigh breathed, eyes dropping as she settled herself in bed. "Justin called them already..."

Roisin sighed, as she kneeled beside Kayleigh's sprawled body. Her best friend must have gone through a lot last night. With the way she dragged her words as she spoke, she sounded extremely exhausted. Roisin stood up and sighed again, locking the door behind her as she made her way to the campus.

"Bro, I need to tell you something," Justin whispered to Jacob.

Jacob looked around the area. The two sat on one of the benches in the campus as they waited for the rest to arrive. Only he and Justin were there, as the other guys were on their way to them. Jacob, upon hearing the seriousness in Justin's tone, grew worried. "What is it?"

"Last night... Kayleigh and I...." he trailed off, unable to finish his sentence.

"You were with her last night?"

"Yeah," he remarked.

"Is that why we were unable to contact you?"

"Yeah."

"What happened?" Jacob queried, concerned.

"Nothing happened. Not in that sense," Justin sighed. "But..."

"But?"

"I don't know. She's... she was so vulnerable last night. I don't know."

"Justin."