xxiv

──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

dedicated to hannahstar246 and Alphaqueen513 who continuously support this book. ily both xx

──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

Kayleigh woke up eight hours later, remembering the way Lucas held her close to him as if he was protecting her from all the dangers of the world. She'd dream of how she nuzzled her nose to his neck as he carried her away, his Dior Sauvage fragrance the only one keeping her sane — rather, the one scent that drove her insane. She realised that all that had not been a dream but was at some point a reality, when the two of them were running away from the Ghostriders, also known as the J-Alpha's rival gang. Roisin slept next to her on the hospital bed, her body crooked from the discomfort, as she snored away. He-Jin popped in from time-to-time, delivering home-cooked Korean food for them, much to their delight. On other days, Justin and Jacob came in for a visit, mostly because they wanted to check up on her.

"Hey!" Justin beamed, entering the room with Jacob.

"Hello, Kayleigh, how have you been?" Jacob smiled, although he sounded so melancholic. "The doctor said you're free to leave today. You're pretty much fine."

"Good, thank you! That's great to hear!" Kayleigh replied. Kayleigh felt that there was something wrong. "Is there anything wrong, guys?"

"Nothing much," Justin lied, eyeing Jacob. "We just came to drop by."

That night, Justin and Jacob escorted both her and Roisin out of the hospital, walking them back to their housing, although Kayleigh sensed that something was wrong — at least that was what her intuition told her. From time-to-time, Justin would rub the small of her back, assuring her that things were okay, as if reading her mind, although his sorrow eyes said otherwise. Kayleigh did not sleep soundly that night, as she knew something would have happened between the J-Alpha, and she would never forgive herself if it was because of her.

The next day, instead of the usual crowd gathering around her as she strode the campus, she was greeted with many of the students standing a safe distance away from her, whispering amongst themselves. It was weird. Really weird. I mean, yes, she understood that people usually stood away from her because she spoke English, but that barrier had already been dissipated ever since she won the award.

Mi-Rae and her friends started sashaying towards her, heels clicking on the cobblestone floor and Roisin and He-Jin were already in their class that morning.

"You, bitch!" Mi-Rae snarled. "You're the reason why our favourite boys broke up. The rumour is all over the campus!"

Kayleigh quizzed. "What? What do you mean?"

Eun-Kyo held up a poster with the Alpha wolf emblem on it. The poster headline was cunning, The J-Alpha is looking for two new members! Sign up now!

Kayleigh took a moment to read through. Then huffed, "How is that my fault?"

"Are you really that naive?" Dan-Ah groaned, flipping her hair. "You have the audacity to come here, take over Mi-Rae's position as queen, and then break a sixteen-year friendship?"

Kayleigh began to walk away, purposely colliding her shoulders with Mi-Rae who merely lost her balance. "I stand by my argument. I did not do anything wrong."