xxxviii

──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

warning: mentions of abortion and strong lamguage.

──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

Lucas rang the doorbell to his home, around ten times, due to his nerves and his excitement for Kayleigh to finally meet his family. The two stood in silence, the only sound was caused by both of their hearts beating rapidly, as his Ahjumma opened the door to his house.

"Hello, Ahjumma! This is Kayleigh!" he introduced in Korean, bowing as a sign of respect. He turned to her, as he spoke in English. "Kayleigh, this is my Ahjumma. It means a middle-aged woman. She's like my mother. She raised me."

"Hello! My name is Kayleigh," she smiled, bowing as a sign of respect to the older lady.

"Cha Ae-Jung-mida. You can call me Ahjumma as well since you're quite close to my Chang-Min," the older lady welcomed them, opening the doorway widely and moved aside to let the couple enter.

Kayleigh's eyes widened when she entered the house. It wasn't too different from her eyes, considering that her family were, after all, pretty well-off. His home was large; the house's main colour scheme was the monochromatic colours of white and grey. The living room was expansive, with a fire-pit that lit the room, a television that currently played Master In The House and a dining table to its far left. The stairs were made from shiny wood that was wide enough to fit ten people. There was a door to the kitchen, towards the far end of the house, but Kayleigh could only see so far.

"Welcome to my humble home. My father's office is on the third floor, and my brother and I's room is on the second floor. As I said, my mum... well, I don't know where she is." She watched him avoid her gaze for a second. He gestured his hand to welcome her, as she sat down on the white leather couch.

Footsteps echoed in the living room, as a tall boy emerged from upstairs. Kayleigh watched him descend from the stairs, as Ae-Jung walked to the kitchen to prepare the dinner table.

"Let me help you," Kayleigh volunteered, standing up to help her.

"No, no. No need. You're the guest," she beamed, walking off and leaving her alone.

She turned around to witness a seventeen-year-old teen, dressed in a shirt and sweatpants as he spoke with Lucas. He looked somewhat similar to Lucas, only slightly shorter, but undeniably handsome as well.

"Kayleigh," Lucas called out. "This is my brother, Chang-Gyun. But he prefers to be called Yohan."

"Hello. Nice to meet you," she held out her hand for him to shake, to which he gladly took.

"Nice to meet you too."

Kayleigh wore a white t-shirt and a pink skirt, paired with her favourite white sneakers. Nothing too fancy, casual but not too casual, to show respect. Straightening her skirt and following Lucas and Yohan to the prepared dining table, the next set of footsteps were heard, revealing Lucas and Yohan's tall, forty-something father, taking a seat on the front of the table.

"Dad, this is Kayleigh. My girlfriend."

"Hello, sir," she greeted.

"Hi," he replied. Stark coldness.

Lucas cleared his throat to, perhaps, lessen the thick tension arising, as Yohan used his chopstick to choose from the array of side dishes.

"Our Ahjumma here makes really good food, Kayleigh. Try them," he said, as an attempt to ease the tense atmosphere.