xxv

──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

warning: strong language.

aaaand we're halfway throughout the book!

dedicated to kelladaisy113 kelladaisy113 for being super supportive. ilyt xx

──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"Kayleigh!" Justin and Jacob called out, as she was on her way to class. Kayleigh wanted to stop walking and chat with them, but she knew better. She no longer wanted to be the reason to blame for their feud.

"Hey! Kayleigh!" Justin called out again. "Is there something wrong?"

Kayleigh glared at Justin and Jacob upon realising that they had caught up on her, walking on either side of her. "You know I do not want to be friends with you anymore."

"But we do..." Jacob chimed, winking at her.

"Mhm!" Justin hummed. "And you can shut up about being the reason for our disbandment? It's not your fault Lucas was wrong. Lucas was going out of his way. He can't force us to follow him when he is clearly wrong."

Jacob agreed. "Yeah! He should be guilty."

"Are you guys sure? I do not want to be blamed again."

"One hundred per cent," Jacob reassured, walking away. "Justin wants to say something to you, by the way. I'll leave you two."

As soon as Jacob was out of earshot, Justin and Kayleigh stopped right in front of her classroom, and Kayleigh noticed that he started to grow uneasy. She saw the way he avoided her eyes, looking at everything, except at her.

"Is there something wrong?" Kayleigh wondered.

"I'd just like to say that... I'm serious about the way I feel about you. As a matter of fact, I... well, if it's okay with you, can I... can I formally pursue you?" Justin stammered, scratching his nape.

Kayleigh paused for a second, blushing before smiling. "Yes. That would be fine."

Justin screamed, his deep voice turned shrill as he punched his fists in the air. "YES!" He looked at Kayleigh. "Thank you! You won't regret it!"

As if on cue, the bell rang, indicating the start of Kayleigh's next class. Justin smiled at her again, muttering a silent thanks, before leaving, bouncing up and down as he walked down the corridor, screaming that Kayleigh had finally given him the go signal to proceed with whatever plans he had in mind.

Lucas loitered in the corridors, behind one of the lockers, hearing the echoes of Justin's ecstatic howls as he watched the two. He knew Justin would end up liking her. He knew it. But he suppressed that feeling, knowing that Justin wasn't a traitor. Now, he knew better. In his eyes, Justin was a traitor.

Deep down, Lucas felt his irrationality. What was wrong with him falling in love with Kayleigh? He just fell in love, right? Just like he did? How was that a wrong thing? How was that stabbing him behind his back?

He continued watching Justin, waving at everyone he'd meet at the empty corridors, the principal included — Levi's dad — like a child who was allowed to eat candy. Crazy man. He was just in love. Justin was happy, but why wasn't he? Why can't be happy for his old friend? Lucas felt the slight tug in his heart as he watched his old friend glow under the influence of love, as he walked away. No regrets. It was too late to regret it now. Somehow, he couldn't help but to secretly wish that it had been him instead.