Chapter 20

Ara's POV

"I'm back..." I said weakly, my voice croaking, wiping the sweat that keeps forming in my forehead.

"Welcome home– holy shit! You look like you just faced death itself!" Yakazino exclaimed, stunned at the sight of me.

My tired eyes travelled to his own, "I think I did."

"W-What happened?" He asked, worriedly.

I sighed, "Worst things happened."

"Can you tell me about it?"

"I don't think I have energy left to say anything. I wanted to faint." I said.

Yakazino gulped, "I apologize for letting you see hellish situations out there. Whatever happened must have been the worst. I thought it'd be better to send you there..."

"Oh that's fine, it's always worse when it comes to Madara. The training, the death, the fight... It's always him."

"What? Him?"

I shook my head, "Never mind." I rubbed my temples, "Hey, Yakazino-san."

"Hm?"

I handed him the bag of rewards that the Senju gave me, I gave the leash of the horse to him and grinned, "Catch me."

And so, I fell into the darkness and the world of nightmares.

The next day came, I woke up feeling refreshed and calm despite the unrest I have felt due to nightmares. I rubbed my eyes groggily, yawning, and stretching. I scratched my back until I remembered the dead bodies lying on the ground. My breath hitched and I gulped. It's still not a hallucination.

I stood up and readied myself for the day. When I left the house, Yakazino was already in front of me with his arms crossed.

"Explain, young lady."

I sighed, licking my lower lip wet. "I don't think now's the time to explain my situation."

"It's a brand new day, you passed out yesterday. That scared the hell out of me. Now is the time to explain." He stared down at me, straight to the point.

"Fine," my shoulders slumped. "I don't really want to remember it again, though. I just want to work in order for me to forget that happened."

"Come, let's take a walk."

As we walked down the streets, I observed my surroundings which I haven't taken a look for a long time. I was so busy sulking and crying that I didn't realize how happy people here have become. There are smiles, laughter, or children playing. There is noise everywhere, a good and happy noise.

"Since when did the town change so much?" I asked, smiling a bit.

He gave me a confused look. "Hm? Oh! You didn't realize? Are you blind or what?"

"Or what." I answered, "I just didn't notice it that much."

He chuckled, "Everyone has high hopes. No one is frowning today, that's for sure. We worked hard and earned ourselves happy thoughts. It's because with the help of each other's companions, we don't lose faith. The contribution of this town helps cheer the people up."

I smiled wider, "I see... That's good."

"Indeed." Then, his eyes narrowed at me. "Except one person who didn't have much happiness today."

My brow rose, "Who?"

He rolled his eyes, "You, dumbass."

"Oh..."