Chapter 10

Your POV

"Let's go sign up." He said holding out his hand. I grabbed it and he whisked me across the floor.

I smiled back at Loretta. She gave me a thumbs up. "I'm Hunter." He said.

"[Y/N]." I said in reply.

"What a pretty name." I felt myself blush hoping he couldn't see it.

"Get ready." He said.

The ten minutes passed in a blur and we went up to the stage. "You're gonna lose." Steve said to me.

"I wouldn't count on it." I said back.

"Can you dance?" Hunter asked. I could. But I lied instead to make myself more appealing to him. Why? I dunno. Felt right.

I shook my head. "Not at all." I said with a laugh.

"Don't worry. Neither can I." They played the clip twice and I did not know what I was doing. And from the looks of it, neither did Soda and Steve.

I was cracking up the entire time. I knew we weren't gonna win. But I had so much fun. Even if it only lasted 30 seconds.

"So our judges have decided that the winners are... Sodapop and Steve!" They both started jumping up and down.

"What's our prize?" Sodapop asked. Steve stuck his tongue out at me.

"Wait... there has been a misunderstanding. The winners are Will and Mia!" The two at the end hugged each other.

"Ha!" I yelled sticking my tongue out at Steve.

"Not fair!" Soda yelled. "

"How about this... as an apology, everyone gets free drinks for the night. But my two winners just won 100 DOLLARS!"

"I do not agree to this." Sodapop mumbled pulling Steve off the stage.

Hunter and I walked down while the other two got a check. "So how about we take advantage of those free drinks?" Hunter asked.

"Oh. I don't drink."

"Why? You driving home?"

"No, just the last time I drank it did not end well." I said with a small smile.

"Don't worry. It's all ok. How about we take advantage of free waters instead?" He asked with a wink.

I laughed. "I'll take it."

We walked over to the bar and I had one of the best nights of my life. He also has a scar on his cheek from a knife the same way I got mine. He got in an argument with his ex and she got mad and slapped him with a knife in her hand.

"So what happened the last time you drank?" He asked.

"Uhh..." I mumbled.

"It's alright." He said awkwardly.

"No. I-I..." I took a breath. "I was almost 17. I was underage and I was a bad kid. I had neglectful parents and I wasn't good at school. So I got mad one night and went to a bar and hooked up with my boyfriends best friend. I got pregnant, ran away for 8 years and got a job offer up here so I'm back." I said with a fake smile.

He seemed in shock. "I get it if you wanna pretend to go to the bathroom and never come back. It's ok." I said.

I put my glass down and started walking away. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me back. "You have a kid. You became a strong, independent, girl. You got a job for yourself. So from what I hear, you're pretty successful. I mean, you could be in a worse place from that. So although, I don't like the cheating part, you've got pretty far in life."